Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Adopting a Child

sunniefaith is offline Registered User
    I'm reviving this thread because I've been seriously thinking about adoption. Would anyone else like to share their adoption stories?

Neha is offline Banned
    This might help u

http://library.adoption.com/Hong-Kon...le/1371/1.html

you may contact ISS-HK at 2834 6863 or through e-mail at [email protected] for further details as the ISS-HK has more relevant experience in adoption

Quote Originally Posted by Neha View Post
    This might help u

http://library.adoption.com/Hong-Kon...le/1371/1.html

you may contact ISS-HK at 2834 6863 or through e-mail at [email protected] for further details as the ISS-HK has more relevant experience in adoption
    Thanks heaps!

capital is offline Banned
    It sounds like the process is quite fast. In Canada to adopt a baby from china it takes a while and the baby is at minimum 6 months old, and very often much older. It sounds like it would be a lot faster, and you may get a younger baby if we were to go to hong kong and apply from there.

Does it matter what ethnicity and nationalility you are? I am Canadain born and raised (caucasian), but my husband was raised in Hong Kong (chinese), but living in Canada since age 19 and holds canadian citizenship, but still has his hong kong ID card, but no chinese or british passport anymore, and I am guessing the only way to get a chinese passport would be to renounce his canadian citizenship, which of course we would not do.

Quote Originally Posted by capital View Post
    It sounds like the process is quite fast. In Canada to adopt a baby from china it takes a while and the baby is at minimum 6 months old, and very often much older. It sounds like it would be a lot faster, and you may get a younger baby if we were to go to hong kong and apply from there.

Does it matter what ethnicity and nationalility you are? I am Canadain born and raised (caucasian), but my husband was raised in Hong Kong (chinese), but living in Canada since age 19 and holds canadian citizenship, but still has his hong kong ID card, but no chinese or british passport anymore, and I am guessing the only way to get a chinese passport would be to renounce his canadian citizenship, which of course we would not do.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, I would think that it doesn't matter what passport you have when you adopt a child. And why would he want to get a chinese passport. In HK at this point of time, a passport is just a travel document, it doesn't automatically gives you citizenship. There are people here that have multiple passports.

hkrose is offline Registered User
    I just spoke with Social Welfare a few weeks ago concerning adoption and the one thing that prevents us is our income level. :( According to what I was told... they don't budge on this so you may want to know how much you need to bring home.

Has anyone had any experience in getting around this? My DH is a Pastor and the chances of him getting a raise is fairly slim... at least for another 2 years and we want to adopt so badly.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Do you work? If not you'll need to get a job. If you do you'll probably need to find a better paying job or get a raise if your husband can't himself.

It's a bit sad when they use how much you earn as a means of determining eligibility but I guess they have to have a few baseline guidelines. It IS expensive to raise children these days.

loraine is offline Registered User
    Hi Sunniefaith & Capital,
    How far along the adoption process are you? Have you been to a parents session yet? I'm enroled for one in July.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast