Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Adopting a Child

sunniefaith is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by loraine View Post
    Hi Sunniefaith & Capital,
    How far along the adoption process are you? Have you been to a parents session yet? I'm enroled for one in July.
    We're delaying the adoption process now. Hubby is thinking of taking a year off next year to do his MBA and we're worried that we may not have enough money for the kid. Anyway, how much do you have to earn before you can adopt?

carang is offline Registered User
    to capital, you can't just "come to hk" to adopt. you need to be here for 18 months before they will even start to process your application. then it can take up to a year afterwards to get the baby.

one thing in your favour is that your hubby is chinese. if at all possible, they prefer to place chinese babies with chinese(or even partly chinese) families. you would be even higher on the priority list if you could speak chinese. the fact that you don't by no means disqualifies you, it just means that you are a little further down the list.

every single person i know here that has adopted has gotten a baby within about six months of being approved.(and i know about 10 couples that have adopted...some even adopted more than one child).

Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    to capital, you can't just "come to hk" to adopt. you need to be here for 18 months before they will even start to process your application. then it can take up to a year afterwards to get the baby.

one thing in your favour is that your hubby is chinese. if at all possible, they prefer to place chinese babies with chinese(or even partly chinese) families. you would be even higher on the priority list if you could speak chinese. the fact that you don't by no means disqualifies you, it just means that you are a little further down the list.

every single person i know here that has adopted has gotten a baby within about six months of being approved.(and i know about 10 couples that have adopted...some even adopted more than one child).
    We're both Chinese from Spore. We should be in Hong Kong for the next years min. I'm concerned with what the min monthly income we need to have before we can apply to adopt a kid as hubby is going to take a year off, I'm hoping that with my income, it'll be enough to adopt a child. We've been here for about 8 months. Thinking if we should put in our application regardless if hubby is going to take time off to do this mba.

sorry my post was directed at the person in the US that was looking to adopt in china or HK... i may have misdirected it.

now this may sound a little harsh, it is not meant that way, only very truthful.

Adopting a child should be your first priority. The raising of a child should be put BEFORE EVERYTHING else, even an MBA. If you or your hubby are not prepared for that, you should not consider adoption.A child will irrevocably change your life and your priorities. If you are fully prepared for this, then it shouldn't even be a question. you will do what needs to be done to get your baby.

If you decide that havign a baby is THE MOST IMPORTANT thing to you, then I'd suggest your hubby put off doing his MBA until after you have the baby. Use this time now to save all your $$$ so that once you have your little bundle of joy, your hubby can still take the time off of working to do the MBA. This will also allow your hubby some time to bond with the baby once the baby is placed with you.

I'm not sure what the $$$ criteria are from the social welfare dept regarding ability to adopt, but i can assure you, personally, YOU WILL NEVER feel financially ready to have a baby. you need to just take the plunge and know that everything works out. You will ALWAYS make sure your child has enough to eat, even if you don't. Your child will always get the clothes needed before you buy anything for yourself. That's just the way you change when you become a parent.your own wants and needs automatically fall down the list of priorities when you have a little one dependent on you.

if i was in your position and truly desperate to adopt, i'd tell hubby to put off school and keep working. this would most likely bump up your income to an acceptable level for social welfare dept. then once you have the baby, he can go to school. afterall, they are not going to take the baby away from you once it is placed. (at least that would be very unlikely!)

ps. capital's post says she's caucasian from canada, not chinese from singapore.....so my post WAS directed to her as it says originally.

ps. capital's post says she's caucasian from canada, not chinese from singapore.....so my post WAS directed to her as it says originally.
    No worries. My concern with money is that I'm hoping that I can meet their financial requirement. You're right about being ready for a child. We've been talking about it and we want to be really sure before adopting a child. Having a child is a huge, huge commitment. That I know as I work with kids and I've seen how some families mess up their kids. And in no way, I want to raise kids in that situation. Therefpre we want to think through it before actually doing the application.

i'm sure your are thinking it all through very carefully sunniefaith, as you know it's not something that once accomplished you can walk away from.

good luck with your decision!

i'm sure your are thinking it all through very carefully sunniefaith, as you know it's not something that once accomplished you can walk away from.

good luck with your decision!
    Thanks Cara,

I remember once watching Dr Phil. There was a couple who wanted to return their adopted child because the child had learning difficulties and Dr Phil was livid! He said something to the effect of, 'This is not a product that you can return if you're not happy with. It's not something that have a return if you're not happy within 30 days sort of guarantee. An adopted child is for life!' And I am with him on that. I want to adopt a child to give him or her a better life....Not to mess him or her up!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast