Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Adopting a Child

sunniefaith is offline Registered User
    An update. Finally, I made the call to the social welfare department. And we're booked in Sept to go for the info session. This is all very exciting!

tzechuk is offline Registered User
    So exactly how much do you have to be earning to be able to adopt a child in Hong Kong?

Quote Originally Posted by tzechuk View Post
    So exactly how much do you have to be earning to be able to adopt a child in Hong Kong?
    I really don't know. But I did clear their min requirement just based on my income alone. But you do have to be in HK for at least 18 mths but they do make exceptions.

mander is offline Registered User

New to HK adoption

We just attended our first briefing session on adopting from HK. We have only lived here 1 year and were told we could attend after 1 year. If anyone has recently adopted, I would love to chat with you. We have one child who was adopted from Guatemala while we were living in the US. He is now 3 1/2 yrs. old. We are familiar with the process while living in the US but not sure different it is here.

Quote Originally Posted by mander View Post
    We just attended our first briefing session on adopting from HK. We have only lived here 1 year and were told we could attend after 1 year. If anyone has recently adopted, I would love to chat with you. We have one child who was adopted from Guatemala while we were living in the US. He is now 3 1/2 yrs. old. We are familiar with the process while living in the US but not sure different it is here.
    It's interesting to hear that. I made the call to the social and welfare department and was told that we can qualify even though we've been here for about a year. We should have a meet up for ladies who have adopted or who are going to adopt to talk through stuff. But then again, with HK, they change rules all the time.

rani is offline Administrator
    Mander,

It was nice meeting you yesterday. Was just telling Faith about you. You girls should definitely meet up for a chat.

Faith, I think someone told me the wait time for non-Chinese is a bit longer. They want families to become familiar with Chinese culture/customs before the start the adoption process
    Last edited by rani; 09-06-2007 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rani View Post
    Mander,

It was nice meeting you yesterday. Was just telling Faith about you. You girls should definitely meet up for a chat.

Faith, I think someone told me the wait time for non-Chinese is a bit longer. They want families to become familiar with Chinese culture/customs before the start the adoption process
    Really, that's interesting...Remember May? She adopted baby before the 18 months were up. But then again, she came to HK from China so the department probably took that into consideration,

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Daizy View Post
    We adopted our son in Hong Kong and we didn't live here for 18 months. We used to live in China and I spoke to the person in charge because I didn't feel the reasoning behind waiting just to familiarize myself with hong kong for 18 months was a good reason for me. Anyway, they gave me the green light to start with the procedures and in exactly 9 months time we brought our baby boy home :)
    Faith, they made an exception for Daizy.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast