Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

High chairs

Coco is offline Registered User

High chairs

Hi mums. Am planning to purchase a highchair soon. Have been looking on the web and like the look of the Svan high chair and the Stokke high chair. Both apparently grows with your child. Plus my husband prefers to wooden ones and not the plastic ones. The only thing about the Stokke is that is doesn't come with a tray in the front, so I guess you can only bring the chair up to the dinning table. Has any of you had any experiences with these chairs ? Is it important to have a tray for the high chair ?

The Svan is sold at Mothercare for HK$2700, but for ~US$280 on the internet, but most sites doesn't ship to HK. Does anyone know which web site ships to Hong Kong. Or if we can purchase this in the UK ?

Thanks !

msmslau is offline Registered User
    I did the same comparison btw Svan and Stokke before I moved back to HK from the US. I opted for Stokke, strangely enough, b/c they don't have a tray! I figure my daughter does not need a tray since i can just pull her up to the dining table and eat with us. Besides, it is very difficult to clean the gaps. I love the Stokke chair so far, easy to clean ( don't get the cushion since it will get dirty right away!) The only thing is the harness. It is very difficult to clean. So I ended up soaking them in diluted "Detto" water for 1 hour twice a month to remove the food stains. As for purchase, i can't offer much help. I bought mine for USD 199 in the US (excluding shipment).

cristletips is offline Registered User
    I have a wooden high chair I bought at Mothercare for about $800. It turns into a small table and chair afterwards.

I thought the Stokke was pretty cool too.

But I wouldnt bother to spend that much on the Stokke. Save your $$ and spend the difference on other things. Like a massage for yourself!

I move mine from the dining table sometimes into the living room. I like the tray. When my baby is done eating I let her play with her spoon, bowl, and cup and she practices eating. I sometimes stick a suction toy to it too.

Tisha is offline Registered User
    Hi Coco,

I am also pretty keen on getting the Stokke chair for my kids as they are now 2 and 3. We've always used high chairs with trays when they were younger as it seemed easier to clean when they fed themselves. Rather than having to "scrub" down the entire dining table instead. And like Cristletips mentioned, I did the same with my kids by putting them in front of the telly and letting them play with toys or feed themselves.

But now they are older and can feed themselves pretty well, I am thinking of getting a Stokke. This is a website of a Taiwanese company selling a "copy" of it. Apparently you can order online but I am not sure if they ship overseas. Can't help you there as I cannot read chinese. NT2900 = HKD 89. Check it out on:
    http://www.kid2youth.com/shopping/?a...r=1400&pid=158

I'll let you know if I get them as the price seems pretty attractive compared to the real deal.

Tisha

carang is offline Registered User
    i'm curious why you would buy high chairs for a 2 and 3 yer old? wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to buy them booster seats? a 3 year old would not get very much use out of a high chair, i would imagine....

fly
    fly is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Tisha
    Hi Coco,

I am also pretty keen on getting the Stokke chair for my kids as they are now 2 and 3. We've always used high chairs with trays when they were younger as it seemed easier to clean when they fed themselves. Rather than having to "scrub" down the entire dining table instead. And like Cristletips mentioned, I did the same with my kids by putting them in front of the telly and letting them play with toys or feed themselves.

But now they are older and can feed themselves pretty well, I am thinking of getting a Stokke. This is a website of a Taiwanese company selling a "copy" of it. Apparently you can order online but I am not sure if they ship overseas. Can't help you there as I cannot read chinese. NT2900 = HKD 89. Check it out on:
    http://www.kid2youth.com/shopping/?a...r=1400&pid=158

I'll let you know if I get them as the price seems pretty attractive compared to the real deal.

Tisha
    Wow, that price is quite attractive.... But I'd be worried about something that cost that cheap - has its passed tests against tipping over, quality of the paint used, etc. And those bolts holding it together are really fugly!

Tisha is offline Registered User
    Carang - the reason why I am thinking of getting the Stokke for my 2 and 3 year old is because they can be adjusted for whichever age. Buying a booster seats means having to get rid of it within the next year or so when they outgrow it.

Yes, must agree that the "copy" Stokkes from Taiwan looks a bit fiddly. May have to check it out personally.

carang is offline Registered User
    thanks... i was asking because i have a 17 month old and am expecting another one in march... i'm hoping that by the time my new baby needs the high chair the older one will be finished with it....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast