Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

School vs. kindergarten

2nd Timer is offline Registered User

School vs. kindergarten

We've had 2 days notice that we're moving to HK with a 3 and 4.5 year old. My 3 year old was due to start nursery at the local international school here and my 4.5 year old was going from nursery to reception year.
    1. Do I have any chance at all to get them into a school or kindergarten
    2. If I want to keep them together at the same school / same hours is that at all possible. (I just want 1/2 days, not all days, they're still little)
    3. International school or other possibilities? If they go Int'l will they learn any mandarin / cantonese at all.
    4. We'd like to stay on the Island since will work in Central.

Also any suggestions to live if we don't want to be in a high rise?

HELP!!

carang is offline Registered User
    what kind of housing allowance will you have?
    will your company pay the necessary debentures to ensure your children get a place at the school of your choice?

JasminT is offline Registered User

Many choices

Hi,

We've just moved to HK 2 weeks ago and did a rece trip prior to moving, which we found to be very helpful. I aslo have a 6 yr old and a 3 yr old and had to look at many schools and pre-schools. There are many choices for low rise buildings and international schools, depends what you prefer.

We opted to for an English Foundation School (ESF) as opposed to an International school, both had long waiting lists but we manged to secure a place.

When are you actually moving to HK? The summer holidays here have just started and the new term begins in Sep. So if you get in and make some enquiries (on the web and phone) there might be places still available for start in Sept.

Depending on where you want to live, mid-levels or bit further out in Pokfulam there is a lot of choice where housing is concerned, you can settle for facilities and less space or more space and not many facilities.

Once you have researched rents and a few places you'd llike to shortlist, everyone will be able to give you clearer advise and name specific schools and kindies.

Regards,
    Jasmin

Sleuth is offline Registered User

Clueless American

Quote Originally Posted by carang
    will your company pay the necessary debentures to ensure your children get a place at the school of your choice?
    Okay, this term gets tossed around a lot so it must be pretty common, but what is a "debenture" as it relates to schools and how much do they run?

carang is offline Registered User
    a debenture is a set amount that needs to be paid in order to secure your place... usually you will receive it back without interest after your child has finished at the school...not all schools require it, but most internatinal schools do. some schools offer a capital levywhich is payable every year of which none is refunded instead of a debenture....

the debentures can range in cost from $50,000 up to $300,000 which is why i'm asking if your company will pay for it...if you are getting a relocation package, make sure that you research the debentures at the schools that you are looking at and that it is factored into the relocation terms.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Thanks, going to have to have that inserted in my package.