Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

How soon to see a doctor?

pinemarten is offline Registered User

How soon to see a doctor?

Hi all

I’ve just had my first positive pregnancy test – a faint purple line but a purple line nonetheless! Getting a bit ahead of myself, I called the doctor I want to see during my pregnancy (Dr Dawkins) to book a first visit. Unfortunately, he’s going on holidays and won’t be available until the 8th of August.

I’m just wondering – should I see another doctor in the meantime? I have no health conditions or particular worries about my pregnancy, although it is my first, and I’m pretty clear on what foods etc to avoid. Is it necessary to see the doctor immediately?

jools is offline Registered User
    Congratulations.
    I wouldn't worry about seeing the doctor until he gets back from holiday. You don't need any scans yet and as you are just pregnant, you won't miss anything by waiting to see Dr Dawkins. I've just given birth to my third child and didn't go and see the doctor until my dates said that I was 12 weeks pregnant, for my first scan, where they confirmed the dates. Obviously if you feel that there is an issue then you should definitely go, but if everything is OK, I wouldn't worry.

Jools

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Congratulations!

I found out I was pregnant at five weeks, and went to see a doctor at eight weeks, mainly because I couldn't wait any longer and no matter how many home pregnancy tests I did (three!), I needed it confirmed by the doctor. At eight weeks I had a scan (not much to see), but my doctor said he was glad I had come at eight weeks so that he could rule out etopic pregnancy etc. (which is very rare, my doctor has only seen two in thirty years as an obstetrician!).
    Waiting for Dr. Dawkins to return should be fine.

rani is offline Administrator

I went to see the Dr very early, which was a bit of a waste. He told me to take some folic acid (which I had already started) and suggested a few pregnancy books to read. Next visit was at 7 or 8 weeks, he did our first scan and we heard the baby's heartbeat.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

pinemarten is offline Registered User

Thanks!

The quick responses are much appreciated! I've been taking the special supplements and everything seems ok - I'll just wait til August. :)