Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Positive Experience at Public Hospitals

chca is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Thanks! Loupou and Sourcing. Now I am confident with PWH.

sourcing is offline Registered User
    You are welcome chca!
    When I meant shared room, I mean the twin sharing room.

pammyg is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

Prince of Wales experience

Hello all,

I've never posted before, but I remember when I was new to HK and new to the whole public system I was overwhelmed and a bit nervous for what to expect as a public patient at Prince of Wales. So now, 9 months later, I realize it would be good to share my experience for other women who may be going through the same thing.

My whole experience was a very positive one. After being concerned that my water had broken–though I wasn't sure because it was a slow leak–I went to the hospital just in case, and sure enough that's what had happened. I needed to be induced at this point, so I waited in the pre-delivery (maternity) ward until a bed opened up in the labor ward. When it happened, about 12 hours later, I was wheeled into my own labor room (not sure if this is standard or if it was because I had to be monitored more because of the induction). My husband was allowed into the labor room with me the whole time, and after about 8 hours of (intense!) labor our son was born. They honored my request to hold him on my chest right away after the delivery, and actually they followed all of the requests on our birth plan except a few, like me having to lay down the whole time because I was hooked up to a heart monitor, and also I couldn't try laboring on a ball or anything because I couldn't leave the bed (again–being induced and hooked up to a bunch of IVs). But I can affirm those stories of women saying the midwives/nurses were all very kind and helpful, and I felt very taken care of.

They were also great about my wishes to exclusively breastfeed, as well as having him stay with me the rest of the time. The public delivery ward was made up of 2 rows of 5 beds across a wide aisle from each other (actually multiply this by 6 for the whole ward), separated by curtains which could be closed for an exam or privacy at anytime. There's one shared restroom with about 5 stalls and 2 or 3 showers, and you do need to bring your own toilet paper, but they have soap (and paper towels? I can't remember). And if you choose to keep your baby bedside with you, just tell one of the midwives when you need to take a shower or get ready for bed or something, and they'll keep an eye (or an ear!) out for your baby. It's amazing though, that even the first day, you can recognize the sound of your own baby's cry above all the others.

OK, the negatives: my husband didn't want to miss the beginning of my labor, and since we didn't know when that would be, he ended up waiting in the hallway outside the maternity ward for 12 hours, mostly standing because the two wooden benches were usually occupied! Plus, after the birth and being awake for 36 hours, baby and I were wheeled into the delivery ward for some rest, but it was about 8:30 in the morning and visiting hours weren't until 5:30 or something that evening, so after all that my husband couldn't even be with us all day! That was hard.

But here's the strange thing–I thought the food was pretty good! I'm a vegetarian, and I was told to order the vegetarian food even if I wasn't because it's much better than the regular food, so maybe that's something to keep in mind.

So there's my essay! I hope this is helpful to anyone going to POW for the first time. I was pleased with the whole experience, and would do it again if we're still in HK for our second child (down the road)... If anyone has any specific questions, I'd be happy to jog my memory and see if I could help. Best of luck to everyone!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123