Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Feeding rice cereal to 4 month old

babi77 is offline Registered User

Feeding rice cereal to 4 month old

I tried doing that yesterday and my boy learned how to swallow. can anyone let me know how many days can I change the cereal from watery to thick? He's only 4 months old, and I mix the cereal with breast milk.

So anyone introduce rice cereal to their babies when they're 4 months? Please share.

Regards
    Babi

Grace Bellis is offline Registered User
    I started my daughter on rice cereal when she was 5.5 months. I had the rice cereals pretty runny (2 tablespoon of rice cereals + 1.5oz of breastmilk) for the first couple of days. After that I'd just made it a bit thicker and she seemed to have no problems eating it (actually it's less messy when it's thicker). I think you'd need to observe how your baby takes it and decide what consistency he can handle.

Jonathanmommy is offline Registered User

My baby started having some solid food at 5 months. I also added some cooked apple puree to the rice cereal twice a week and carrot puree once a week to make the rice cereal more interesting. If you make the rice cereal thicker, it is less messy and you can give your baby a few spoonful of water in between. For the first couple of weeks, you may want to just give your baby rice cereal as a "snack" instead of replacing a whole feeding. About half an hour after the "snack" you can give your baby milk as usual but because he had some rice cereal, he may take less than his usual feeding. After the first week, you can explore different puree, like brocoli or pear etc.

babi77 is offline Registered User
    thank you.
    so seem I'm a bit early to give my boy rice cereal....
    but he seems okay, thanks.

Regards
    Babi

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    You might be interested in the article, First foods for babies, at http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/firstfoods.html
    and for general mothers stories about starting solids, Starting Solids, at http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBsolids.html
    Best wishes,
    SARAH

eplo19 is offline Registered User
    my doctor told me to add 2 tsp of veggies to the rice cereal after intoducing rice cereal for a while.. how many of you have done this and what is the recommended sequence to start ? My duaghter is now 6 months old and i've started giving her rice cereal at 5.5 months

eplo19 is offline Registered User
    how long should we feed just rice cereal to her before introducing other food?

niutalent is offline Registered User
    i also started my daughter on rice cereal at 5.5 mos. I think we started her on other foods - veggie & fruit purees - a couple of weeks after that. Don't think there are any set rules - just watch your child and see what she likes. Mixing them in with rice cereal is probably a good start. Bananas are great first foods. Don't force her to do anything but I was happy to find that my daughter took to the other foods quite easily. However, have not given her anything else new yet - like dairy or meat yet - and she is close to 8 mos. I'm thinking I'll need to expand her food repertoire soon. I've read that I could start feeding her finger foods as well.