Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

HELP won't sit in stroller

nanzbier is offline Registered User

HELP won't sit in stroller

My 1 yr old hasn't sat in a stroller since she was 6 months old! She will only sit in this cheap tricycle thing that is made out of plastic. I am concerned because I am leaving back to America for a few weeks, and I cannot hold her all the time! Can anyone please give me any suggestions on how to help her "like" her stroller again? I have the Maclaren Techno. I should also mention that she is an extremely hot baby...I got all the bamboo type things to put inside the stroller to cool the seat down, but she just hates her seat. I would lug that cheap china tricycle over...but it doesn't break down!

Arwen is offline Registered User

I guess you are not alone on this issue!
    Apparently lots of kids including my own 13 months old girl refuse to get into her stroller too!

On occassions when she refuse to get in or stay in her stoller, then I will bring out the goodie bag with her favourite biscuits inside.
    I usually dont allow her to snack... not on sweet or toddler's biscuits even... cos these are reserved for emergency times like these! And I will only give it to her when it is really absolutely necessary.

She seems to be o.k with this arrangement.

Arwen

I wish I could do that except she doesn't know how to self feed! The minute I put her close to the stroller she starts to throw a HUGE fit. Then I put the stroller outside so she can get distracted by the environment and it still doesn't work! She is also a bit chubby so doesn't fit into the Bjorn anymore. I will try to give her some cheerios and see if that works. I tried to let her cry it out in the stroller for about 30 minutes...and she just gets so sweaty I have to take her out. Anyone else have any suggestions or are we the only two with this problem?

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

I’ve no solutions to getting babies into pushchairs. But want you to know that you aren’t alone. None of my children would sit in a pushchair so young.

I found that while it was a choice of sitting in the chair or being carried they wanted to be carried. But when they were older and it was a choice of walking or sitting in the chair they would sit.

My children were willing to sit in the pushchair from about 20 months of age, before that I used to carry them in some sort of sling – a different type for each child.

Good luck,
    Barb

I do have several slings that I can use...I just purchased the Maya Wrap, but its a bit difficult to use. As long as she sits in the stroller eventually, I won't feel so bad! I do have 2 strollers that I feel have been wasted so far. I've tried letting her play in/around the stroller in her playroom just so she won't be so scared of it. Then she'll actually sit in the stroller. But if its outside, she'll wail! Maybe she's too hot?

kashismum is offline Registered User

Same problem with my 9 month old. Gave in and bought the Ergo carrier - much more comfortable than the Baby Bjorn. Hopefully, she'll sit in the stroller later, but for now, we're both happy being close to each other.

Arwen is offline Registered User

My stroller was a bit of a white elephant too until when my girl turns 11 months plus as it was then absolutely impossible for me to carry her in the wrap sling (mums in mind).

She has always been on the big side.. now at 13 months, she weigh a whopping 12kg!!! With this kind of weight, if I give in to what she wants, I may end up in hospital with a broken back soon!

I suspect it may not be the heat as during winter, my girl had refused to be in the stoller for long as well..got to do with separation anxiety...

Since your baby is only 6 month old (be be quite light), try carrying her in the wrap sling and when she is older and heavier then we can use the bribe method!

aRWEN