Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

breastfeeding duration

jools is offline Registered User
    Hi Mocha,
    Never partially breastfed. The advantages of breastfeeding are significantly reduced if you introduce a bottle. First child until they were 16 months, second children 18 months and third child still feeding.

Jools

hkaussie is offline Registered User
    I'm still breastfeeding my 15 month old, but only once or occasionally twice, a day. He gets his feed in the early hours of the morning because it's the only thing that gets him back to sleep!! He wakes at about 5, comes into our bed and has a quick feed on both sides, then falls asleep till 7.30 or so. Nice!!

He's never had formula except as a newborn in intensive care. He eats a lot of solid food now - pretty much eats anything I give him, and will drink a cup of cow's milk each day too.

I wouldn't mind giving up the breastfeeding, but actually the whole arrangement suits us as it is so I'll probably only give it up when he is sleeping all the way through to 7 in the morning.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    My first child had one bottle of formula because I lost confidence in the hospital. Fortunately a doctor visited me before my baby woke up and told me that if I wanted to breastfeed that is what I needed to do and to forget the formula. This is what I did. She started on cows milk when she was about 18 months but still loved to breastfeed as well.

My two sons were exclusively breastfed until they were five and a half months and eight months. Either of them liked cows milk and so they only had my milk. The younger one only started putting milk on his breakfast cereal when he was about five years old – before that he used apple juice.

My youngest had formula in hospital because she was very ill and the doctor wanted her to have some calories and at that stage I still had colostrum. I expressed and pumped and they fed her by tube. Within 24 hours I was able to produce all the milk she needed. After that she was fully breastfed until she started solids at about six and half months. Then she continued breastfeeding and eating solids until she weaned.

I like my children to eat food as close to its natural state as possible so I try to avoid too much processed food. Formula is just about the most processed food in the world (even more processing than McDonalds)!

Best wishes,
    Barb

joannek is offline Registered User
    my baby was only had BM for the 1st 6 mths. then solid + BM (cereal also w/ BM), then when i started planning to wean her, i added formula at 12 mths for her midnight feed. then she self weaned at 16 mths.

Wee Kean is offline Registered User
    I weaned my daughter gradually from 18 months old from BF on demand to at home only to night time only. 2 weeks ago, when she was 25 months old, I decided to wean her totally. I was quite surprised as she was ok without BF. She can sleep without BF but of course, it takes longer time to put her to sleep and I have to sing to her for a while. Now, she sometimes will pretend that she is having Breastmilk, which is very funny.

She was exclusively BF till 6 months old until I introduced solid. After 1 year old, she started to take fresh cow milk which she likes very much until now. When she was newborn, my doctor gave me wrong info saying that I had to give her formula as she has jaundice, blahblah.. so I did give her a few times formula until I read about the "truth"!!! I stopped giving her formula immediately just before she turned 1 month old.

Jool, did you continue to BF after you were pregnant? The reason I weaned my daughter is because I would like to plan for another child next year. According to my doctor, if I keep BF, my body will not be able to "cope" as I am quite "small size" and skinny.

Is that true? Thanks!

joannek is offline Registered User
    is it the same doctor who told you your baby had to take formula cos she's jaundice?

as far as i know, if you live a healthy lifestyle, size doesn't matter nursing pregnant moms.

jools is offline Registered User
    Hi Wee Kean,
    I'd love to know where these doctors get their information from. I have three children currently (though plan to have fourth a little later on).

My first child self weaned at sixteen months as I was pregnant with my second child. It was totally his decision; in the second trimester your milk changes taste and this can often cause the baby/toddler who is nursing to wean. My second child self-weaned at eighteen months because I was pregnant with my third. So actually I don't know how to wean a child aside from getting pregnant which will eventually have to stop-lord knows what I'll do with the last one.

That aside, there are no side effects to either you, your child or the baby you are carrying if you breastfeed whilst pregnant. Often women tandem feed once the baby is born, so feed their toddler and their baby, again with no ill effects, aside form needing to sit down alot and hey when you've just had a baby who is going to complain about that.

You might want to direct your doctor to their local La Leche League leader for an update on their breastfeeding knowledge as they obviously need it.

I hope that helps.

Jools

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Often when mothers get pregnant while still breastfeeding they are worried that the breastfeeding may in someway affect the unborn child. But, in fact, the bigger danger comes to the baby who is still breastfeeding.

There can be a drop in the milk supply, especially during the second trimester. If the baby is older, say already a toddler, and getting most of his nutrition from other sources this doesn't impact the older baby much. If this older baby likes to breastfeed for the comfort and security the mother may see no change in the feeding pattern. But if the baby likes to nurse more to get the milk she may find that the older baby weans.

If, however, the older baby is still quite young and getting most or all of his nutrition from the mother's milk it is important to monitor this older baby's growth to make sure everything is fine. It is also a good idea to monitor the weight gain of the mother as being pregnant and fully breastfeeding too can put a strain on her system.

This subject is not covered comprehensively in most books for mothers because they assume that the older baby is already a toddler and getting most of his nutrition from other foods. This is the most common case when breastfeeding while pregnant as one side effect of breastfeeding is usually a delay in the mother's fertility. The delay often results in babies spaced around two years apart.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast