Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Amniocentesis - cost and other info.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

Have replied to pm.

Sara is offline Registered User

Summer:

I (an over-35 expecting mom) had an Amnio test at 19 weeks. It wasn't in HK so I can't tell you about the cost here. What I want to say is it wasn't bad AT ALL. I too was hesitant about it, but it was quite a straight forward procedure with almost no pain. It was just like a vaccination shot really, with the needle being inside your tummy a little longer. The doctor kept me for about 1/2 hour after that to make sure there was no leakage, and I was advised not to lift anything for the following 24 hours. They used the ultrasound scan during the procedure to help locate the baby, then scanned again after the needle was out to show me that the baby was still breathing and moving normally.

Sara.

new mommy is offline Registered User

Hi - I had an Amnio test at Dr Lam Yung Hang's clinic. I was referred to him by my first obstetrician. In the end, we ended up staying with him through my pregnancy and delivery my. He is very good - the procedure was very quick and smooth. I rested at his clinic for half an hour and then went home. After the procedure, it is better to go straight home and rest for a couple of days. It is better to have your husband or a friend go to the clinic with you. You may feel week afterwards and in case you don't feel so well on the way home, he can take care of you. I didn't go to work or do any housework - just rested and relaxed for 2 days. I did my test on a Tues morning, and then Dr Lam called me with the result on Wed afternoon.

You may want to visit Dr Lam's clinic and let him do an ultrasound scan first. He looks for many different signs (the heart, the nose, the back of the neck etc.) for Down Syndrome. Based on what he sees on the ultrasound, then he will tell you his recommendation. Of course you will be the one to make the final decision.

Good luck!

SummerJ is offline Registered User

Thanks guys!! I feel more reassured now. It's so good to hear from those of you who has gone through the procedure. A couple more questions if you can help:

1. Does a good amnio result means that the baby is 100% free from Downs and other abnomalities?
    2. How soon can I fly after an amnio?

Also, can you please let me know Dr. Lam's charges on prenatal (consultations, ultrasound) checkup and for VB delivery? Which hospitals does he work with? Does he charge a higher rate for better rooms?

Thanks very much!

new mommy is offline Registered User

Hi Summer J,

Just sent you a private message. Let me know if you haven't got it.

Sara is offline Registered User

Summer:

I can only answer your 2nd question. I had an Amnio at about 4 p.m. and asked the doctor whether it was OK to fly back to HK the following morning. He said yes IF I didn't have any leakage, spotting, or cramps overnight, and I must not lift any bags. Everything was OK with me and I did fly back here the following morning.

Sara.

fridayma is offline Registered User

I'm advised by my doctor that the Amnio test shows 99% accuracy for testing Down syndrome and other abnormalities. Thanks.

SummerJ is offline Registered User

Thanks guys! Btw, is it also true that you are not allowed to have sex for 2 weeks after an amnio?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast