Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Amniocentesis - cost and other info.

tutor1 is offline Registered User

Amnio after OSCAR

Quote Originally Posted by fridayma
    I'm advised by my doctor that the Amnio test shows 99% accuracy for testing Down syndrome and other abnormalities. Thanks.

I'm a bit confused about the amnio, etc.

I can elect to have it for minimal cost through the Public Health system. I have had the OSCAR test at 12 weeks and it came back saying a 1 in 2000 chance of Downs so the doctor was no concerned, however I'm not sure whether I should still have an amnio given that I am in the advanced maternal age group.

Did any of you have the OSCAR test as well, before having the amnio??? What were the results? Thanks for your help. I'm a bit confused about this.

Tutor

tutor1 is offline Registered User

Clinic's risk

Did anyone know what the risk of their clinic was?

I was told that the risk was 1-2% "for their clinic" which, contrary to other things I have read on the real risks of amnio, seems very high.

peakresident is offline Registered User

amnio

hi
    this is a very useful chain. i had my 13 week scan today and from all acounts the baby look normal. my first pregnancy and i am 39. i will know the blood test results in a couple of days...my doc seems to think that if the results are postive (ie limited risk ) and if i get a second opinio from dr lam using the same means then an amnio may not be necessary from her point of view . but my hi=ubbie is vrey keen tho he will wait to see the results of the blood test...has anyone hrd miscarriages occurring due to amnio...what is dr lams reputation on th is topic..i think given my age, and that its a first, it makes sense to get it done but the miscarriage stats seem fairly intimidating..any responses from women who faced a similar situation to me would be highly helpful...

Cici is offline Registered User

Had Amnio at Dr Philip Ho's surgery when I was around 16-17weeks along-it didn't hurt at all, I just relaxed and did my breathing routine and carried on reading my magazine (didn't want to look at the needle)- actually was over very quick. I opted for an amnio rather than the blood test and OSCAR because my friend only found out in her 20 week scan something was wrong. Her baby had not 1 but 2 genetic defects and the professors said to them that the baby wouldn't have lasted till they're 1st b-day, apparently the OSACR was quite low for her as well, it was only when she had the amnio done that they knew about the abnormality, by then she was around 24weeks and had to be induced. Doc said it was ver very rare, but as I was also pregnant at the time, I had an amnio done just for peace of mind. I think mine cost around $8000

peakresident is offline Registered User

thanks. my results still very vry low risk and both doctors i go to insist on no amnio. my hubbie still wants one, i believe the docs and am confused........:Butbut

capital is offline Banned

Think of it this way, find out your risk of down's syndrome, such as a chance of 1/whatever, everyone is different for this based on your results, and then the risk of miscarriage from the amnio as 1/whatever (sorrry I can't remember what it is off hand, maybe someone else on here can), if your chance of miscarriage is much higher than the chance of there being a genetic problem, then that may sway your decision.

kiwiinoz is offline Registered User

The chance of miscarriage when I has an amnio was 1 in 100.
    However, if you are concerned about the health of the baby and if it does have a genetic problem that may affect your decisions, then it is worthwhile doing. It sounds to me like the dr's are just being overly cautious because of your age-bracket.

I had to have a vaginal amnio because of where the baby and placenta lay. My nuchal translucency results came back with a 1 in 110 chance of Down Syndrome, which is why we had to have the amnio done.
    The amnio itself was like a really bad/painful pap smear, and there was some residue bleeding afterwards (which did clear up reasonably quickly). I got to watch the ultrasound as they guided the needle up, and I'll be the first to admit it was scary to watch because of the seemingly close proximity of the needle to the baby. However our results came back clear, and with a 100% confirmation of the sex of the baby. We had initial results within 48 hours, and complete results in 7 days. They test for several genetic disorders, some which require the cultures to be grown over a period of days, which is why the final confirmation takes a little longer.
    I have never met or heard of anyone who has had a miscarriage from the procedure, although I am sure given the ratio they put on it there are a few out there.
    I can appreciate what a truly hard decision it is to make. I am sure you will make the right one for yourself and your family.
    My son was born healthy and normal... I am sure given your good results so far your baby will be the same. :)

meus is offline Registered User

between Nuchal Transluency test and amnio, is there any other test? or if you have a high risk in NT test you need to go to amnio? when did you had the NT test?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast