Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Underweight Mommy

Lebebe is offline Registered User

Underweight Mommy

Hi all,

I am almost four months pregnant, but I haven't shown any signs of weight gain. I'm pretty skinny to begin with (105lbs and 5'5"), even though I eat a lot. I've had major morning sickness the first trimester. My doc. suggests that as my appetite increases, so will my weight. I have just regained my appetite these past two weeks (although still feeling very gassy and vommiting whenever I eat too much), but my weight hasn't improved. Everyone's been commenting how skinny I am, which is really worrying me.

When does weight gain usually occur for people who've had bad morning sickness?

Has anyone stayed skinny (except for the tummy) throughout pregnancy and produced a healthy baby?

Thanks,
    Lebebe

gidget is offline Registered User
    Hi Lebebe,

Just wanted to let you know that I have had a similar experience.
    I am around your size, and had trouble eating anything during my first trimester. In fact I lost 2 kgs at the start, which is a lot for my build, and was horrified.

At around 4 months my appetite came back though, and I have steadily put on weight since. If you are eating well now, I expect that you will be the same, and it will soon start to show up on the scales.

I was worried like you are, but luckily I have a scan every visit and have been able to see that despite my own slow weight gain, my baby has been growing very well the entire pregnancy, 'well nourished' in my obs words! In fact it is huge and currently as much as 2 weeks ahead in size compared to it's age, in some measurements.

My obs was not concerned about my weight in my case, he explained that the baby is a 'parasite', it is taking all the nutrition that it needs to be healthy, you and your body are only getting what ever is left over!

I am 7 1/2 months pregnant now and people still comment that they can't tell I am pregnant from the back etc, I am 'all belly', as they say and have had no weight gain elsewhere.

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    I gained a total of only 14 LBS when I was pregnant and had a healthy 7-LB baby. And this is without morning sickness or anything at all. I ate like a cow because I felt I shd be 'eating for 2.' I, too, was worried about not gaining as much as I thought I should, but my doctor said to count myself lucky... As long as your doctor believes that you are fine, don't stress too much about it. Wish I'm as 'slim' now as when I was pregnant --LOL!

Wee Kean is offline Registered User
    Before pregnant: 36kg

Before deliver: 50kg (cannot tell that I was pregnant from behind, belly only)

After delivered: 45kg

Baby's weight was 7.2 pound and very healthy!

Now: 40kg

Don't worry about your weight as long as the baby is healthy. I didn't eat too much when I was pregnant but ate healthy food, fresh fruits, vegetable, whole grain bread, etc.

carang is offline Registered User
    you were only 79.2 pounds(36kgs!!!) before you got pregnant! does your doctor think this is ok????

to me it sounds terribly sick! (which of course, i hope you're not!!!)

Lebebe is offline Registered User

Feeling much better

Hi everyone,

I guess I'm not the only skinny one here. I'm glad that everyone's baby is well nourished despite slow weight gain.

It's funny. I think I may be an 'all belly' too!

Anyway, I feel more relieved now. Thanks! Lebebe

Wee Kean is offline Registered User
    Hi Carang, thanks for your concern.

My daughter is 21 months old now and I am still breastfeeding. We went to climb two Great Wall of China last October and tomorrow we are off to Yunnan Province and Tibet backpacking.

So, I think, I am doing quite well :)

carang is offline Registered User
    good, i'm glad... i would think that at that weight it would be difficult to have too much energy as you have nothing to burn...but you sound ok...

i'm glad for you and your baby!

i had the opposite problem when i was preggers with my 1st! i was overweight to start with...80.4 kgs....yikes!

but i had such terrible morning sickness i went down to a low of 72.1 kgs... the day i gave birth i was only 82 kgs... the first day i could walk to a scale i was 75 kgs...

now expecting my second...at first weigh in i was 77 kgs... we'll see how it goes...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast