Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

feeding vitamins

kellyst is offline Registered User

feeding vitamins

we've been feeding our 10mth old baby vitamins (prescribed by ped) daily. but the vitamin is very syrupy and sweet, she hates it. we feed using a syringe (the one use for medicine), and most of it ends up on the table, or she'll keep it in the mouth for like 10minutes and then eventually just let it leak out.

we tried mixing it in a spoon with water, doesn't work. adding it to milk/food dilutes it too much and we're afraid it's wasted if she doesn't finish the milk. any other ideas on how to feed vitamins? (or medicine?)

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    They make pacifiers that open up so that you can put the medicine in them and then the baby can suck the medicine through the pacifier. Our baby prefers the syringe that came with the vitamins over the pacifier, maybe you'll have the opposite.
    Poly vi-sol vitamins?

kellyst is offline Registered User
    Poly vi-sol and Appeton.. we alternate these every other day. she hates both :(. but the Appeton did help with her appetite.

huisia is offline Registered User
    I feed Scott Emulsion Cod Liver Oil, calcium in tablet and Nutrifresh for supplementary for my 28 months old son.

I'm quite against the sweet syrup as sweety may cause toddlers act more active.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    We asked the doctor about switching from Poly vi-sol, as we had noticed other brands in the store and she told us that Poly vi-sol is the best and we couldn't switch. That stuff doesn't even smell good, so I can imagine what it tastes like.
    Now we use the provided syringe and put it in his cheek, not down his throat, and follow that with a quick milk chaser.