Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

What to look for when getting a maternity cover?

AnitaC is offline Banned

What to look for when getting a maternity cover?

I have received a couple of private messages asking about maternity cover. I have answered them individually, but I thought it may be a good idea to share that with every body here.

Are you an expat or Local? No matter what, if you can afford an internatinal plan, then go ahead. The only thing you need to check if they cover local nationals if you are HK Chinese.

The second thing is to check the waiting period. They can vary from 3 months to 10 months. If you want a baby very soon, then read the small prints. In some cases, the small prints are not provided, then you need to ask the insurer for the policy wordings.

Another thing is to check if elective C-section is cover. Some don't, unless that is medically required.

Some cover all the expenses from maternity if it is complications. Some don't even that is complication.

The cover amount also varies. Some covers 100% up to a limit. Some will require you to pay 20% of whatever and up to a limit.

Most of the international cover will offer a one year free cover for the new born baby, which really is a bonus point

Well, just for a guideline. Most of this international cover will cost around HKD10,000 to HKD30,000 per year at age 30.

Last but not the least is getting a trauma cover, because when you are pregnant, you are in much higer risk to get a serious illness. I am sure we don't want to see that happens. For sharing purpose, there are two insurers in HK that will accept application up to 5 months pregnant. I had gone through a lot of trouble when a pregnant lady came to me 2 months ago asking for a trauma cover!

I hope the above information helps. Good luck ladies! Always remember to read the small prints!

Cheers,

Anita

AnitaC is offline Banned

Apologies for the typo. I did it too quick. Very sorry about this!

golfer is offline Registered User

Hi Anita

Thanks for the info. I am 7 weeks pregnant and just found out that my company's medical insurance doesn't cover pregnancy costs. Is it too late to buy hospital cover now?

Also you mentioned trauma cover, which companies offer this to pregnant women?

AnitaC is offline Banned

Hi Golfer,

Congratulations! You are 7 weeks now, so your due date must be around March in 2007! I am at 9 weeks and my due date is 2nd March 2007.

How do you feel? Is everything going alright?

Well, there are more than one insurer that accepts pregnant applicant for trauma insurance, depending on your nationality. If you are Aussie, then LUCKY YOU! The Aussie insurance market is really a leader around the world. The US market is pretty good, but even they start getting a bit more conservative.

If not, then it really depends on your nationaity and where your husband is from.

I don't want to get too personal here and I really shouldn't give advice here. I might get sued by the regulators!!!! Oops.

Do you mind sending me a private message?

Anita

soniya29 is offline Registered User

Hi Anita,

I read ur post on insurance coverage, Im having a very bad situation with my pregnancy coverage,, am 8 mths and not covered, we are really in alot of stress, is there any way u can help me, Id really really appreciaite it,, im not too good with geobaby, can u send me a blank mail at my email address, and then i reply u back,, thanks so much,

Soniya

Clowe is offline Registered User

hi Anita (or anyone else out there who may know...)

gosh i just read this thread (should have read it much earlier but didn't know it existed)... i am 5 months pregnant (due 21 april) and this pregnancy won't be covered at all because we just signed up with William Russell in August which has a 12 month waiting period for maternity coverage (we'd found out too late that neither my nor my husband's work insurance covers a dime for maternity). so our baby will be covered but not this one.

i'm an expat from the states and we've opted to go private (after much consideration and hearing not-so-nice stories about expats giving birth in public hospitals here). i'm sure the public system here is great and wonderful for cantonese-speakers but as someone who only speaks english, i don't want to take my chances with our first baby...

anyway, if you do know of a way that i (at 5 months preggers) can still get coverage, well, that would be the best thing i've heard in months!!! i had no idea there were insureres out there that have 3 month waiting periods... i had thought 10-12 months was pretty standard.

my email address is [email protected] and indeed any advice you may be able to email to me would be so appreciated...

Clowe is offline Registered User

sorry for the typo- what i meant was our SECOND baby will be covered but not this one...