Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Small prints on Maternity Cover?

AnitaC is offline Banned

Small prints on Maternity Cover?

I have received a couple of private messages asking about maternity cover. I have answered them individually, but I thought it may be a good idea to share that with every body here.

Are you an expat or Local? No matter what, if you can afford an internatinal plan, then go ahead. The only thing you need to check if they cover local nationals if you are HK Chinese.

The second thing is to check the waiting period. They can vary from 3 months to 10 months. If you want a baby very soon, then read the small prints. In some cases, the small prints are not provided, then you need to ask the insurer for the policy wordings.

Another thing is to check is if elective C-section is cover. Some don't, unless that is medically required.

Some woul cover all the expenses from maternity if it is a complication. Some don't do so even that is a complication.

The cover amount also varies. Some covers 100% up to a limit. Some will require you to pay 20% of whatever and up to a limit.

Most of the international cover will offer a one year free cover for the new born baby, which really is a bonus point

Well, just for a guideline. Most of this international cover will cost around HKD10,000 to HKD30,000 per year at age 30.

Last but not the least is getting a trauma cover, because when you are pregnant, you are in much higer risk to get a serious illness. I am sure we don't want to see that happens.

For sharing purpose, there are two insurers in HK that will accept application up to 5 months pregnant. Or try an Australian insurer as the Aussie insurance market is much more mature, though you must be an Aussie national or married to one.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

myfavoritebags is offline Registered User

Great information. Can you let me know which 2 insurers in HK will accept applications up to 5 months pregnancy? I would greatly appreciate it!

y3ncs is offline Registered User

Hi, can you share with the the 2 insurers in HK will accept application up to 5 months pregnancy? Also other international insurance for less than 5 month waiting period - if there is any?

I am Australian, is there any maternity insurance that cover my pregnancy that is 4 months already?

Thank you

calypso is offline Registered User

Hi can you let me know which HK insurers?

I'm still trying to decide whether to get insurance or not. I'd like to start trying for a baby in about 6 months and fear the 10-12 month waiting period might cause issues. I'm also Australian, do you know which Aussie insurers I could try?