Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Central medical practice

sumadhav is offline Registered User

Smile Central medical practice

Hi,
    I just moved from New jersey to Hong kong.I am looking for paediatricians and general practitioners. My insurance has 2 paediatricians in central and I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with either of them.
    They are Dr.Wong Chak Tong David and Dr Wong Chi On Simon. the first one is from the Central medical practice. I would appreciate any advice.
    thanks

spsmok is offline Registered User
    Dr Simon Wong is with Dr Vio & Partners. I have taken my daughter to see Dr Simon Wong. He was really gentle and caring, and took the time to warm up with the child before the examination. I think it's really important for a pediatrician to have these qualities.

My daughter has seen another pediatrician who wouldn't play with her when she started crying. Not that he's not a good doctor, but I wouldn't bring her back again.

I'm not familiar with Dr David Wong, though.

HKfornow is offline Registered User
    If this is the same Dr. Wong in Prince Building, don't bother going to him.

We chose him when we first came to HK, and after I showed him all my son's medical record & provided him with his copy, he said ok, and was gonna give my son a vacine shot, I asked what medical reaction I should expect, his response "Why?", I motioned to my son's medical record, then he said "oh, let me check". After he looked at the record then he researched on the internet (without my prompting he would have given my son a shot w/o checking medical history & research). Then on another ocassion, I asked his nurse to please check if my son needed additional vaccination here in HK (since we needed the BCG, but was not sure if needed more). They called me back and said they can find no records for my son, and to please fax them a copy. . . since then we have not bothered to go back.

Olusia is offline Registered User
    Please stay away from David Wong! If it's the same person as at Quality Healthcare in Crawford House ( Queen Road Central) you do not want your child around him. I visited him several times with my daughter who is 2,5 and tried my best to give him more than one chance to show that he cares about his patients - you know - people do have bad days but last time I saw him, he shauted at my child ( he yelled STOP IT when she touched a stood in his office - a small one - a kind that is used to climb to a toilet at kindergartens)and was very rude to my helper and very dismissive towards me. The last straw came when I came to vaccinate my child and he did not listen to my request of administering the vaccine in the thoughtful and delicate way but instead he hid the syringe behind his back and attacked my daughter from half - turn shooting the needle down into her tigh by surprise which left her in hysterics and I almost fainted. I filed a complain and wait for the result of it. Stay away from that man! He has NO bedside manners and his methods are butchery. You do not want your child around him!

HKfornow is offline Registered User
    Olusia,
    I read your post, and I had to laugh, because it's the same Dr. Wong that was in Prince building before (they have since moved to Crawford House), and if you read my earlier post, you will notice that our experience is pretty similar. Sorry to hear about your LO's experience though.

Olusia is offline Registered User

Isn't it funny

Hey, Thank you for writing back. Isn't it amazing that after so many bad experiences that people seem to have with that guy ( I read some more on the internet) he is still around with such a big health provider as QH. Why are they shooting themselves in the foot and just keep moving the guy is beyond me. Anyways everybody - Prince's building or Crawford House - stay away from dr.David Wong!

Nayeli is offline Registered User
    Dr Wong Chi On Simon is great, caring, gentle and no nonsense with him, besides he takes the time to answer questions you might have, he is in causeway bay now.

ausnyc is offline Registered User
    Let's set some expectations here - pediatrics really isn't the same here in HK (when I compare with what I got in the States). We moved from NY last year, and I have been left wanting (of course, my health plan doesn't allow for the Dr. Thandup set). Bear in mind that well visits may not be covered by your insurance. Vaccinations definitely aren't. Having said that, I'm glad that I had a wonderful pediatrician in NY who taught me alot for my first, and with my 2nd in HK, I'm alot more chilled about well-visits. I've learnt to come up with something, anything, during well visits so that I'm not charged for the consult (it's the principle I'm going for).

I managed to find a good family GP who was willing to take the time to explain a number of things, which is great for the normal ailments. I still bring my kids to the pediatrician for the shots, and more serious issues (jumping out of the crib on the head, pneumonia) simply because the access to x-rays and other associated services is more convenient.

Hope this helps. At the end of the day, you will be able to get a feel for the pediatrician, and since there isn't a primary care type system here, you can have your own network of doctors to call on, depending on what day your kids get sick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast