Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

5 mth old feeding schedule

eva
    eva is offline Registered User

Question 5 mth old feeding schedule

Hello moms,

My baby has just turned 5 mths old. She has been on the same schedule as 1 mth old (7-8 feeds per day); all bm either pumped or direct and no solid yet.Should I change her schedule to a 4-5 feeds instead? I can increase the bottle bm from 4 oz to 5 oz or 6 oz? I am not sure how to go about this. PLanning to give solid when she is 6 mths old as advised by the books. Can other moms out there please give advice???
    The reason is that she doesn't seem to be hungry most of the day and she's very fat but short (16.5 lbs). So wonder if she's being overfed?

Thanks for your advice.

littlebuddha is offline Registered User
    If she does not seem hungry, why don't you just try to stretch the intervals between her feedings without offering more milk? I fed my baby (bf, with an occasional bottle of formula when can't express at work) five times a day when he was five months old and reduced to four times by dropping the late evening feed once he was established on solids at around five and a half months.

ystwu is offline Registered User
    I agree. My little girl is 5 months old. I used to feed her every 3 hrs during the day until she was almost 4 months old when I struggled more and more to keep her sticked on my breast. She would suck enthusiastically for the first few minutes and then be more interested in looking around and playing. I finally stretched the interval to 4 hours and it worked quite well until now.

eva
    I also have the problem of her concentrating in the task of feeding.Anyhow it takes her less than 5 minutes each feed, so I always assume she's underfed. Maybe I should try to stretch out her two bottle fed session during the day while i am at work; as I wont be able to go home to feed her during lunch anymore. Is it OK to ask for your schedules for feeding? just for comparison sake. THanks!!!

babi77 is offline Registered User
    My baby boy 5 month schedule is like this:

7am Morning Breastmilk
    12 noon Rice cereal with breastmilk
    4pm Breastmilk
    6pm Apple/Potatos/Pears, Snack time
    then 8pm Breastmilk (direct sucking)
    10 or 11pm Breastmilk (direct sucking)

Hope it helps.

Babi

eva
    Thanks Babi!
    I haven't start any solid yet. Am i too slow to start? I will introduce rice cereal to her maybe these few days. After that I will wait till six mths to give her fruits or vegi stuff.
    My revised schedule looks something like this:
    8:00 am BF
    11:30 am BM in a bottle (4 oz)
    1:30pm Try out Rice cereal - one spoonful enough?
    3:30pm BM in a bottle (4 oz)
    7:00pm BF
    9:00pm BF
    11:30pm BM in a bottle (4 oz)
    4:30am BF (not sleep thru the night yet)
    Each BF session only lasts from 3 to 5 minutes, so not a lot of intake.

Is this OK????

Thanks!!

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Dear Eva,

The usual advice about starting solids in the breastfed baby is to give milk first and the solid second rather than separating them into different meals until the baby is about one year old.

This allows the baby to drink the breast milk (which is always going to be the better food) and then experiment with the solids. Often, at the beginning, the baby only takes a couple of teaspoonfuls of solids so don't worry if your baby doesn't take much.

Also remember that there is not much nutritional value in rice cereal. So if your baby doesn't like don't worry but give other foods such are pureed fruit and vegetables instead.

Best wishes,
    SARAH