Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Clothing?

colleenfleisch is offline Registered User

Question Clothing?

We will arrive in Sept. and be in HK until APril. I have NO clue what I should pack for the kids (3 y.o. and 1 yo.)

Do I pack their winter clothes?

I have looked at the climate charts and I am still unsure.

I'm thinking dresses, pants, long sleeves, t-shirts, sweaters and tights.
    I know we can buy stuff ther there, but I'd rather not have children miss out on clothes at home.

I'd welcome ANY suggestions

carang is offline Registered User

yep. i'd pack a few more jumpers/sweaters and a nice jacket/coat.

it usually only gets cold for a week or two. i'm from canada and to be honest, when it's cold here i find it colder than in canada.

in canada, everyone is prepared for it. everywhere is heated. in HK NOTHING is heated. you can buy small room heaters and move them around. this is what we usually do.

loupou is offline Baby Guru

Definitely pack some winter clothges (but no snow suit! :)). There is usually a fairly long stretch of time when the temperature is below 15 and days when it is below 10 and with the damp and the wind, a nice winter coat (even if only needed on and off for 5 or 6 weeks) is useful.

JennyB is offline Registered User

Agree with all above. You need both winter and summer clothes, unfortunately. It will be one season one week and another season the next, and then change back again. Daytime high on a given day in Feb can be 5C or 25C. And dress the kids in layers because it might even be winter in the morning and summer in the afternoon!

hkaussie is offline Registered User

It depends where you're coming from as to how cold you will find it. I was here two winters ago and honestly it was the coldest I've ever been in my life. This is because the buildings we were working and living in weren't properly heated, unlike a place like Canada or UK where heating is very thoroughly done.

So, it's not nearly as cold as those other countries, but because the city is not set up for very cold weather, you can sometimes find yourself freezing more than you would elsewhere.

I disagree that it's only cold for week or two - I was freezing for at least two months that winter! It does vary though. I mean, this summer has been super mild compared to past ones, so you never know.

cinnamon is offline Registered User

Natural fibres

I'd also add that you should only bring clothes in natural fibres that breath.
    Even though it is cold, it is still humid ( you will feel it more coming from overseas)
    So you get this horrible cold damp feeling.

Oct-Dec is generally pretty mild and usually the most pleasant time of year
    The time around Chinese new year tends to be cold and damp and foggy, pretty miserable actually!

Shopping is great here, you get a huge variety at some really amazing prices, especially for kids clothing and winter coats

capital is offline Banned

I am from the canadian praries and I found Hong Kong very cold in Jan/Feb, colder than home even though it was always above freezing and at home it gets to 30 or 40 below celcius. I remember one trip I took my wool winter coat with me and I still wore a sweater and a polar fleece jacket under the coat and I was freezing!! The only time I was ever warm was when I was in bed and in the shower. Definatly buy a space heater, I think the humidty makes it feel very cold, esp. if you are from a dry area.

carang is offline Registered User

hey capital!

where on the prairies???
    i'm from saskatoon...been here for 11+ years now. how about you?