Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cloth nappies

firsttimedad is offline Registered User

Cloth nappies

For those who are using this, where and what kind/type did you buy?

rani is offline Administrator
    FirsttimeDad,

I used a combination of Chinese prefolds (from the street market) and something similar to Kooshies. Have a read through the simlar threads below on the diffferent types. Also check out the funky nappies from www.bumwear.com
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Kimmi is offline Registered User

doubibou is offline Registered User
    personnally I have tried all the brands mentioned above, and many others :)
    when I started cloth diapering 2 years ago, there wasn't much too find locally so I ordered most from the US and Canada. But you do have more choices locally today.
    Then it simply depends on you, and what are you looking for.. if you wish something cheap, something cute, quick-drying or wathever.. for the 'cheapest' option, you might go with the prefold/flat nappies style sold in the wet markets for instance.
    today, I'm still using different kinds according to the circomstance (night nappy, outing nappy, home nappy etc..)

but it is not a bad idea to start reading the previous threads on cloth nappies/diapers.
    HTH
    doubibou :)

firsttimedad is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by rani
    FirsttimeDad,

I used a combination of Chinese prefolds (from the street market) and something similar to Kooshies. Have a read through the simlar threads below on the diffferent types. Also check out the funky nappies from www.bumwear.com
    Hi Rani,

You mean the chinese baby shops sells prefolds too? Ii went to one last time and showed me a typical muslin cloth, which i don't like. I like the prefold one that is thicker in the middle.

JennyB is offline Registered User
    When my first baby was born, I got trial packs for a number of different brands. Didn't like Kooshies all-in-ones (available in B2B) because found they leaked, and I suspect this is a problem generally with all-in-ones: they are convenient to get on and off, but having a separate outer layer gives you a second chance to catch explosions. All-in-ones also take longer to dry.

Liked Totts Botts and Motherease, and eventually decided on Motherease because (1) I have an aversion to velcro found in TBs - Motherease have poppers (and choice between velcro or popper covers), and (2) the Motherease one-size means you only have to buy one batch. With Motherease Sandies & Totts Botts, you have to buy different sizes as your baby grows, which doubles the expense.

The drawback to Motherease one-size is that for little babies there are extra folds which make them take slightly longer to get on and off, plus rather bulky so you need "big bum" clothes for them (dungarees are great), but that applies to all cloth nappies to some degree. Motherease Sandies will be more fitted, and Totts Botts have the advantage of being available in HK via www.doubibou.com. This shop did not exist when I bought my nappies.

Good luck!

hkaussie is offline Registered User
    Hi there,
    I'm a big cloth nappy fan, having got into it when my baby was 6 months. We used bambino mio covers with terry flat nappies for a few months while I built up a stash of nice fitted, all-in-one and pocket nappies. I have a good variety now!

I really like pocket nappies for Hong Kong, as they dry quickly but are lovely and trim. Bumwear does pocket nappies and they are one-size which is always very convenient. I just ordered one of their pockets to try, from bumwear.com . I also have a Happy Heinys, from nappypooh.com which I love, and some ones from doubibou.com including totsbots bamboozle and some of their own brand nappies.

I agree with JennyB about the Kushies, I only have one but I tend to use it when I know it will only be a wet nappy with no risk of a blowout! When you have a few different kinds you start to instinctively reach for the right one for the right time of day. They are all good for different purposes. Other people prefer to have all of one kind though, and I can understand that.

I also get nappies from Australia, as there's a much bigger range, but then of course you have to pay postage so it adds up.

With regards to prefolds, I believe the ones from the markets that Rani is talking about are not prefolds in the American sense. The bambino mio nappies are prefolds, which you can get in Eugene Baby Club or Mon Bebe in Causeway Bay.

I could be wrong?
    Last edited by hkaussie; 08-18-2006 at 09:06 PM.

rach is offline Registered User
    Hi HKAussie

Just wondering if you have used the ones from bumwear yet and if you think they would be any good for newborns. They seem a more reasonable price than some others not sure if that means not quite as usefuL?

I'm planning to buy a few types (baby not due till early dec) but quite a bit to research. I gather from previous posts you need, the nappy, liner (for convenience), booster (not always needed) and cover to keep the leaks in! I guess like you I can buy a few and build slowly as i decide what works depending on baby size etc

thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast