Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Helper's medical check-up

Sara is offline Registered User

Helper's medical check-up

Hi!

We're about to inherit a helper from our friends who are leaving HK for good. She has just entered into the 2nd contract with our friends in March, so that contract will be considered prematurely terminated. She will go home first before coming back to start the contract with us. We asked her about the medical check-up, and she said it wouldn't be needed as she just had one before starting the 2nd contract with our friends. Is it OK/legal if we ask her to go through the check-up again at our expense? She'll be helping us with a newborn, so we don't want to risk anything. Do you have any suggestions on where she may have the routine check-up done please? She will be our very first helper, so we really have no experiences in this field. By the way, what insurance company/policy you think is best for your helper? We're looking into several, but most of them don't seem to cover out-patient/clinics. Is it normal for helpers to go to the government medical facilities when unwell?

Thanks so much.

pkh
    pkh is offline Registered User
    I would definitely want the helper to undergo medical checkup before taking care of the baby. She should understand your concern since it is a reasonable request from a mother. I don't think you can legally force a person to do a medical checkup, but it is up to you whether to hire her if she refuses. Never be too shy to ask for what you want, you have your baby's health to protect. I was in a similar situation a couple years ago. Before she touched my baby, I took my helper to Medifast in Mongkok for checkup because I had no confidence in the medical report she brought with her. Medifast had a speical package for domestic helper checkup, don't know if they still have them.

As for insurance, I have Zurich domestic helper insurance and they cover $150per clinic/outpatient visit (subject to an annual total). I seem to remeber Hang Seng Bank has similar helper insurance that allows for clinic visit. It will take a long time for the helper to go to a government clinic to queue up and wait. Better find an insurance that covers clinic visit...

Good luck!

Sara is offline Registered User
    Thank you very much, pkh. Zurich is one of the companies we're considering...

odm_post is offline Registered User
    If you have HKdollarsaver magazines, there are lots of offers for helper medical check-ups.

We first considered Zurich as well, but then settled for Dao Heng insurance which has cheaper package. If I'm not mistaken HK$650 or 950 for 2 years (sorry :P). They also reimburse HK$150 for each outpatient visit. And if you happen to change our helper within that 2 years, you can still tansfer the remaining period to the new helper.

When is baby no.2 due?

Good luck!

sesamestreet is offline Registered User
    I asked all my maids to have the health check before starting her work. You may take a look to http://www.igoodlink.com/Med_check-up.htm

Goodlink is very efficent. I received the report in a very timely manner. I also bought the QBE helper insurance from Goodlink. The discount premium is HK$975 (2 years) which cover $200 per clinical visit (HK$4000/per year). http://www.igoodlink.com/Helper_insurace.htm

geiboyi is offline Registered User
    I used Navigator insurance co, think the policy is with Axa - about $500/yr, $200 per consultation cover.
    Got the check up at Christian Service something in Granville Rd, TST, about $500 for the basic helper check (chest x-ray, Hep B test, stool test).