Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Shenzhen

mandz is offline Registered User

Shenzhen

My husband and I are thinking of making a day trip to Shenzhen with our 14mth old. She normally goes everywhere with us, Beijing, walked the great wall, Shanghai etc...

I hear alot of talk about not taking babies to the mall on the border, why? If I don't carry much cash, wear jewlery etc what are the reasons, please educate me

Thanks
    Amanda

Erin is offline Registered User
    I took my baby when he was 5 or 6 months old. The biggest thing I found is that EVERYONE wanted to touch him (even more so than HK). People were even so bold as to try and pick him up out of his stroller or right out of my arms. I always find it a bit of a tricky situation because they just want to admire your baby, but at the same time I'm really not comfortable having a hundred strangers touch his hands and face. I worry that he's going to get sick from too many strangers touching him (there isn't soap or t.p. in the bathrooms the girls that do nails are dealing with chemicals all day long, people are handling cash). There is also quite a lot of people smoking indoors (don't know if that bothers you). I went home with a headache both times I've been there.

I did find that people were touching him way less when I carried him in a sling. If you do go (with or without your baby), bring lots of baby wipes, hand disinfectant or soap and toilet paper/klenex.

Whatever you decide, have a great time shopping!

Batman is offline Registered User
    I have same experience as Erin. Almost everyone wants to touch my baby, esp if he/she is a westerner. They may think that they are cute, special and different. My biggest concern is hygiene. It's kinda rude if they try(or already touch) to your baby without your approval. The other reason I can think of is that they seldom bring young baby out. So, you are special !
    If you pay attention to your surrounding, you may see 3+ kids with parents but no babies. My mainland chinese friends told me that it's not common to do so in China.. they think air is polluted..and not good for babies etc.

It's your choice and don't carry backpack.. as you know you will be a target then.

msmslau is offline Registered User
    if you decide to go still, try to go during weekday, non rush hour. it will make your life easier. i have headache every time i go there because of the crowd and pollution.

crystal is offline Registered User
    I totally agree above reples. I won't bring my son to Shenzhen, as many many people really want to touch him. I really concern the hygiene and sometimes, I find it is not safe to carry backpack. So many pick pocket there.

Kissmama is offline Registered User
    I haven't gone to Shenzhen anymore since I have my girl. My girl is now 16 month old. Shenshen is a place not safe and you will find a hard time to take care of ki'ds.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    We had no problem and baby was only 3 months. Did have him in a sling, though, which does cut down on the touching thing.
    Went on a Tuesday around dinner time; place was less crowded and the workers were too busy eating to hassle us for money, let alone touch a baby.

hkaussie is offline Registered User
    I went recently and didn't have the touching problem at all. My DS is 12 months.

The main problem was he got bored and wanted to walk around, and that was a difficulty while we were waiting for the tailors to measure everyone etc. I didn't really want him walking around in that environment.