Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Baby (<12month) Swimming Lessons - what else to do?

eplo19 is offline Registered User
    my daughter is 6 months old and i'm plannig to take her swimming for the first time tomorrow.. how do we just dunk her head underneath- just literally dunk it? will it be ok for them to swallow a few sips of the pool water?

carang is offline Registered User
    nope no classes and he cannot swim by himself. until last month i was working full time and didn't have time or $ (our club house is very expensive in DB) to take him regularly.

my main objective was that he wasn't afraid of the water, and he definitely is NOT.

in order for you to put your baby's head under, you need to hold them up higher, and say,
    "mummy's going to put your head under now....1, 2, 3"
    when you say "3" you blow into their face. they will automatically close their eyes and mouth.

they may splutter about a bit at first. if they start to cry. stop. wait until they are happy and then repeat.

now, when i count to "3" my boy automatically closes his eyes and waits for me to put him under.

i DO NOT hold him under, i bring him back up right away.

fly
    fly is offline Registered User
    I guess they're still lacking the coordination to properly swim at that age, so I'm also more concerned that he's got confidence in the water at this stage.

I started a few months later, so when I did the 1-2-3-blow routine, he certainly didn't close his eyes and mouth instinctively! Fortunately he quickly picked up, and yes they are really only under for a second at most. My objective now is to get that time extended. I'm sure he does swallow some pool water (he'll cough it back up sometimes) and fortunately no ill-effects yet. He does spit alot out too.

I would just add to use common sense: if she hates water on her head during bathtime, it probably wouldn't be wise to dunk her in the pool either the first time. Try to choose a clean pool (I wouldn't feel comfortable in a public pool, that is just me) and make sure there is warm water, coz they get cold and tired alot faster than you and I. Just take it slow and enjoy it, sometimes I get the feeling I'm rushing him and have to remind myself he's still new at all this.

ChipMama is offline Registered User
    Where can you find a swim nappy in HK? It is a nightmare to find something like this. Please help!

rani is offline Administrator
    ChipMama,

They have the disposable Huggies in ParkNShop. Saw some yesterday at the Cyberport store.

Rani
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

ChipMama is offline Registered User
    Thanks, Rani! I will get my hubby to pick up some! Are you coming tomorrow? I will love to meet with you!

rani is offline Administrator
    Hi ChipMama, yes will pop down for a coffee. See you tomorrow.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

fly
    fly is offline Registered User
    If you will be taking your little one often, you can find re-usable nappies in many stores and these will pay for themselves (B2B, around Stanley, Mothercare (I believe), etc) or even online (ebay or google "floaties, "bright bots swim", "kushies swim") etc. I didn't personally like the ones at TrU coz I thought they might hinder babies movements, they seemed quite bulky with the insertable foam, if you know what I mean. Just my $0.02

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12