Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

1 yr old breastfeeds too much

bbc mom is offline Registered User

1 yr old breastfeeds too much

Hi everyone. I'm having trouble cutting down the number of breastfeeds. My son just turned 1yr and wants to breastfeed like a newborn. I thought babies were supposed to lose interest as they got older. He eats 3 solid meals a day and has some snacks in between. I've tried increasing the solid portions but he will not finish it all, and will still come looking for a breastfeed and start pulling at my clothes.

I did manage to get down to 4-5 feeds a day, but for the past month he seems to want more (every 2-3 hours). I've tried giving him water but he will only take a few sips (before he would drink a few ounces) and now prefers a breastfeed instead. If I don't give in, he turns cranky and irritable!

Could it be his teething and/or separation anxiety that's causing this?

msmslau is offline Registered User

it is funny to hear this since my 1 yr daughter has appeared to self-wean herself recently.

In your case, do you have someone who can take care of him for a 5-6 hour stretch so that he does not see you? if you try that for a few afternoons (at least 3 days) straight, he might forget he needs your breasts.

if his pediatrician is ok, you might offer him some soy milk, cow milk, or rice milk. I rotate all three so my daugher does not take too much of everything. (she does not like BB formula)

JennyB is offline Registered User

You can try contacting La Leche League, http://www.lalecheleague.org/HongKong.html, for support. If you become a member, they have lots of books in their library on the subject that you can borrow. I remember reading one which offered tips like distraction with toys/treats, wearing inaccessible clothes, etc. At the very least you will be assured that you are not alone or unusual - I went to a recent meeting where the topic was weaning, and there were a few mums in a similar boat to you.

nanzbier is offline Registered User

I think it may be teething. When my 13 month old isn't feeling well, she seems to bf more. Im also trying to wean...I was down to only 2 feeds per day but after my helper left, I'm back to 4-5 times per day.

Scroll to top