Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

How to best mix private & public prenatal care?

hkmama is offline Banned
    Quarry Bay, Hong Kong

How to best mix private & public prenatal care?

Hello! I'm 5 weeks pregnant and would like to mix public & private prenatal care to keep costs down but without compromising my chances of having the healthiest baby possible. So, my question is two-fold. Firstly, how often and when should I visit a doctor throughout my pregnancy (according to the "Girlfriend's Guide" book a total of about 12 visits is average) and briefly what should happen at each visit? Secondly, what are the really important doctor's visits (e.g. screening for Dwon's etc.) for which a private doctor's time and attention are desireable?

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Discovery Bay, Hong Kong
    I don't know how many visits you should have- but I first went to my obstetrician (private) at 8 weeks and saw him every two weeks until 13 weeks.
    Then I had a nuchal transluency scan and blood test (13 weeks); as well as a fetal abnormality scan(20 weeks), and then from 13 weeks saw my obstetrician once a month.
    From 28 have been seeing obstetrician every two weeks; but he has said that by ninth month this could go down to every week. At 28 weeks I had a diabetes test.
    This is all through the private system. Sorry no idea about public system!

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    it also depends on your circumstances...for both of my pregnancies, i've had complications. because of this, i've seen the dr every week to 2 weeks throughout.

thank god i go private or the costs for my pregnancies would be mind-boggling!