Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Worried about pollution?

cristletips is offline Registered User
    Hi Sleuth,

i think you will like it in ma on shan. much clearer! i'm in sai kung and find the air quality better.

the buses that go to the country park and idle thier engines have stopped me from doing a walk to the resevoir there. There are usually about 3 in a row with one lone man sitting in the air con in his humongous bus.

Oh well.

SyL
    SyL is offline Registered User

Unhappy

I completely agree with cristletips. My greatest fear are the microscopic particles that get into the system--making the effort to cover the nose is useless for everyone. Walking on the street or waiting for transportation and smelling car exhaust should terrify everyone. How many cigarettes is HK's daily intake of smog equivalent to? I pray that my unborn baby is unharmed, but reality is cruel. Maybe N95 face masks will become a daily essential if smog is not improved.

I may be lucky enough to get through this without harm, but what about my baby??

SyL
    Sleuth,

I guess some shops feel it's their duty to serve the community by cooling HK!

It seems there are many people that are selfish enough to think of their own daily comfort rather than a cleaner environment for the future and their own children! Sad, huh?

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by SyL
    Sleuth,

I guess some shops feel it's their duty to serve the community by cooling HK!
    It seems there are many people that are selfish enough to think of their own daily comfort rather than a cleaner environment for the future and their own children! Sad, huh?
    Did you see the SCMP today? All sorts of pollution articles--people buying gas guzzling cars, theaters with frigid temps, etc.... Time will tell if all the talk is political rhetoric or if something is really going to happen. I guess the larger problem will be the mainland.

SyL
    Sleuth,
    I've lived in HK since late July and was told that HK had tight pollution regulations, so I can't imagine how worse it couldn've been. Pollution can't be tight if the aircon's permitted to blast that much. There's something terribly wrong.

There is, unfortunately, a difference between regulations and enforced regulations. But most of the HK pollution comes courtesy of the PRC. Even if HK banned cars and AC, the air wouldn't clear.

BBTang is offline Registered User
    Dear All

Can't agree more with you about the concerns in HK, therefore the young and old should live in places in HK which are more greener. I would not want to have my BBs living in the middle of TST or Causeway Bay... I'd rather move /have to travel further to work if I need to.

Though cristletips, I would not dispute whether HK is better or worst than any cities in the world. Since 1 city may have more XYZ particles /gems than another, and a different city may have more ABC particles, and so forth...

Though, me as an adult... have had a few usual flu etc... whilst in HK for a continuous period of 6 yrs.

During that time, I visited London for 2 weeks... the first day stepped into London, was having breathing troubles.... as soon as went into the tube station, I was literally choking to death. I'm sure if it caused such chaos to an adult, can't be good for a BB.

Now I've been in London for 2 years... and have had more than the usual flu, serious chest illnesses... I can feel my lungs have been congested with London Pollution... and my lungs have never felt this weak in HK.

Other scenarios with other cities... but wont go on... :D

Having said that.... do also bear in mind that all the aircons that London uses are NEVER cleaned!! At least in HK, I see the cleaners clean out the filters weekly / monthly, and I will clean the airfilters at home every week during the summer. I have never seen the aircons cleaned in my building, and most people are in an enclosed environment, no opening windows.... imagine what that would do to the people here, let alone our BBs.

Therefore, this is basically from my own experience, and my body reactions... whatever reports / scientific proven are just there for guidance, and possibly bias. So I won't rely my judgement on that. Since every person's body is different and reacts to chemicals / allergies differently.

You can only provide the best for the BBs in the given environment.
    :groupwave:
    The TANG Clan

The London tubes are terrible. Blow your nose after a day or so using the tube and it comes out black. Don't have that problem here.
    Anyone know if HK regulates the diesel fuel and/or engines? The newer fuels and engines are supposed to be better for the air and our lungs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast