Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Worried about pollution?

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    It is true that a lot of our pollution comes from China- and a lot of it from factories owned by Hong Kong business men! China needs to do more to address the problem- but that doesn't mean we can get complacent.

There are things we can do to improve our air quality- simple things such as, turning our air cons up a little higher, taking a reusable bag when we go shopping, recycling as much of our rubbish as possible, turning off car engines when waiting, trying to use our cars a little less (or buying hubrids), using energy efficient appliances.

Unfortunetly in HK, as in many places of the world, convenience and laziness comes before working to ease pollution. That's not to say it's easy to do our part in easing HK's pollution- but I for one am terrified by how bad the pollution has got here. What is it going to take to scare people into action?

The HK government typically only reacts to that which threatens HK's economy or reputationas an economic powerhouse and investment hub; hopefully new research and surveys that show how concerned businesses and investors are over the pollution in HK will spur the government into action. But government action alone won't solve the problem, we all have to do our part to!

I don't think it matters how HK's pollution compares to other countires/citites- it is enough that those of us living here find it unbereable and are worried about the risk it poses to our, and our children's health, and that should be enough for us to realise something has to be done.

pinemarten is offline Registered User
    Here's a graph from cleartheair.org.hk showing how this city compares to other major ones we might live in. It's simply not true that HK-style pollution is essential if you want to live in a city. http://www.cleartheair.org.hk/images...cities2003.gif

Here are some studies linking air pollution to birth defects:
    http://www.entlink.net/education/res...rthdefects.cfm
    http://www.organicconsumers.org/scho...nant021605.cfm
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/502466

So if you're going to base the views you voice on the "feelings" you get about different cities, and your concept that pollution is only better in "rural areas" then please bear in mind that you may be contributing to the government and corporate inaction that ultimately harms my baby, as well as your own.

BBTang is offline Registered User

London, worst polluted city in Europe

Last edited by BBTang; 09-06-2006 at 08:02 PM.
    :groupwave:
    The TANG Clan

calli is offline Registered User

pollution

it's not just the air that bothers me. My 5 year olds want to go swimming in the ocean, but I am very hestitant. I can see the trash floating in the water and we met a neighbor who got an infection from swimming.

I moved here from California and am appalled at the lack of recycling. I don't know where Hong Kong can store all of the trash produced. In California we recycled more than we threw out in the trash. It's hard for me to stick everything in the trash, knowing it's just going to a landfill.

I feel the culture here is more focues on profit and that may be why recycling is so limited.

You are right- for example, it is no longer possible for glass to be collected for recycling- why? Because the company that recycled the glass in HK no longer operates, either because it couldn't make enough of a profit, or even because it couldn't break even. The government just sat and watched it closed, and has done nothing to make it possible to recycle glass in HK!

HK also needs more recycling bins, and needs to encourage more people to recycle.

It is difficult to find a clean beach/sea to swim in but not impossible.

You can try, Pui O and Cheung Sha Wan Beaches (both on Lantau); both are accessible by Tung Chung by bus/taxi, or by Mui Wo by bus/taxi. (Tung Chung is accessible by MTR/airport bus, and Mui Wo is accessible by ferry from Central).

My favourite beach in HK is Tai Long Wan- it is clean, as is the sea; but this is because of it's inaccessibility. There are a number of ways to get there- you can hike from Sai Kung (not really an option with children); you can catch a ferry from the Chinese University pier and then a small hike gets you there (ferry is very infrequent and I last took it nine years ago, so not sure if still running); or you can hire a junk which will take you right to the beach. However the junk operator will charge you an extra $400 to take you to Tai Long Wan (because of it's distance) and junks can't always make it there because although the sea round the beach is calm, the sea that you have to sail through to get there is often very choppy.

You could also try more remote beaches on Lamma- although again this would require hiking or hiring a junk. Turtle Beach/Island is suppose to be lovely- but people are banned from the beach during certain months of the year, when the turtles are laying/hatching their eggs.

Such a shame that we are surrounded by sea and yet so much of it is so filthy!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123