Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Worried about pollution?

aldricher is offline Registered User

Worried about pollution?

Hi, My name is Jane Spencer and I'm reporter for an American newspaper in Hong Kong. I'm working on a story about air pollution, and I'm hoping to speak with new moms/soon-to-be moms about the issue. Are you worried about how it might affect your children? Have any of you thought about moving elsewhere because of it? Do you know anyone that has left Hong Kong because of pollution concerns? If you're interested in chatting about the issue, please drop me a note at [email protected] and I'll write you back with more information about my paper and the story. Thanks for your help! Best,
    Jane

cristletips is offline Registered User
    I sent you an email. The pollution here makes me sad and grosses me out.

BBTang is offline Registered User
    Pollution exists in every city and every country. As long as there are population / humans, buildings, constructions, and transportation... there will be pollution.

Therefore, wherever you go... it is all the same. Unless you seriously move to rural parts of the world, such as Denmark or northern scandinavia region, where u could be driving for hours, and not see another car / person.

I don't see the pollution in HKG any worst than that of London, Paris, LA and so forth...
    :groupwave:
    The TANG Clan

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    It doesn"t seem to be any worse than Atlanta, GA either. Although Atlanta holds the #9 spot on the covetted list of most (air) polluted US cities.

SyL
    SyL is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong's heat, humidity, crowds and air pollution are constant reminders of what I left behind in CA. And what's up with the blasting A/C units?! Work is here, however, and I will endure this for as long as necessary, but do plan to return to California to allow my kids healthy lungs.

cristletips is offline Registered User
    Sleuth and BBTang,

Yes there is pollution everywhere in the world now. But BBTAng, it IS worse here. it is not all the same. And that is because of the tighter contols that exist in other countries, and the lax controls that exist here and in China. (and other countries such as India, Mexico, etc.)

And Sleuth it may look similar to Atlanta's pollution. It even seems like it could be close to LA's smog which I endured for a decade. But it is not.

The difference is in the suspended particulate matter which we cannot see. And in HOng Kong that's what we get! Especially from Diesel. And particulate matter from burning coal. And Hong Kong's particulate matter is smaller thus more dangerous than in many other countires.

Did you know that it penetrates directly into your lung? And then into your aveoli? It leads to plaque deposits in your arteries? Even short term exposure. Well this leads to a plethora of breathing and heart problems. ANd cancer of course too.

HOwever the Nastiest particulate we have here is one of the tiniest. It passes through the cell walls in your brain.

So in Hong Kong it is affecting all of us in a big way, particularly the old and the youngest - our little babies.

Kimmi is offline Registered User
    Yes I very worried aout the Pollution here in HK. My 3 month old baby has just spent a week in hospital with a chest infection. Im not saying the pollution caused it but I know for a fact my family and I have had more lingering coughs since we have been in HK

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Cristletips,
    That's why we are moving to Ma On Shan--not as many cars so not as much pollution. Central and TST are just canyons of car exhaust, you see that in the daily pollution levels. Air pollution might not be that bad, but roadside always is.
    Makes me wonder how many people complain about the air-quality and then hop in their cars, drive home and turn their AC down to 20.

SyL--We don't understand the shops with the open doors that are evidentially trying to cool all of HK and perhaps, given the frigid temps, all of SE Asia. Step one to reducing pollution from AC units would be forcing all of those shops to install 2 entry doors so that their AC stays inside.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast