Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Start work only after 1st trimester?

vpoon01 is offline Registered User

Start work only after 1st trimester?

i found out that i am pregnant just a week ago! I was just planning to go back to work and now I am hesitating.........plus I have pretty bad morning sickness last week (but it now seems to have subsided a bit). I heard that it is better to rest up till 3 months, where most of the uncomforts will go away. Is that true?

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

I think it's a personal thing. I was exhausted through most of my first trimester and did what I could to get plenty of rest, but I kept working, and have just given up work now (at 32 weeks) beceause it's just too much!
    I think it all depends on you and your pregnancy- some people work the entire 9-10 months, others might cut back, and others stop working at different stages throughout.

msmslau is offline Registered User

yes, it depends on what you can handle..the key is don't get too stressed out and exhausted from work...i went into labor early b/c of my stress so i basically worked up till i gave birth..not exactly what i wanted.

so take it easy if you can.

pinemarten is offline Registered User

Don't feel pressured to live up to other people's expectations of what's normal, one way or another. Consider how important your job is to you and how much you enjoy (or hate) it.

geiboyi is offline Registered User

Also, it might depend on whether you already have a job lined up, or if you will be applying for jobs. I can't imagine there is an employer in HK who will give you a job if they know you are pregnant (sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, but I work in the HR dept of a fairly big company and I know full well that this happens - sad but true). If you are sure you want to work and need to apply for jobs I would do it now. BUT, if you don't need to work (either financially or emotionally) then I wouldn't bother. I'd love to stop working and stay home and decorate the nursery...

sanny07 is offline Registered User

Question

@vpoon01

I'm pretty much in the same situation. I'm pregnant 10 th week and I want to apply for a job, but as I'm a foreigner and new in Hong Kong I do not know if you have a law which protects the pregnant women and mothers.

@geiboyi

Maybe geiboyi can tell more about this! Do employers ask whether you are pregnant? Do you have to answer "Yes"? In my home country pregnant women do not need to answer this question. Even if they lie and they get the job, they will be protected by the law. The employer can not dismiss you.

When do you have to tell your employer that you are pregnant?

kashismum is offline Registered User

Any decent HR professional should not ask you if you are or are planning to get pregnant.
    If you are not yet showing, you need not answer this question, if asked, nor volunteer this information.
    It may also be wise to withold this information until the probation period has been completed. Once your employment is confirmed, it is illegal to terminate a pregnant member of staff.
    As regards any maternity benefits, you will not be entitled to paid leave. The mandatory 10 week leave will likely be unpaid.

DRW
    DRW is offline Registered User

I was pregnant when I just started work for about 3 weeks and I was still in probation time; and I was 5 weeks pregnant.
    :( I was felt really bad about my friend feeling as she was the one who referred me to this company. So I did told her and told the boss. Fantastically, the company was OK with it and even give me few hours free for my check up in MCHC (everytime I need it, and I have to give them the hospital letter that I attend the session). And the company did give me all benefits. But I was resigned from this company soon before given birth and now doing my job as a housewife.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast