Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

8 month old won't eat

jjancso is offline Registered User

Unhappy 8 month old won't eat

Hello everyone,
    We have an 8 month old baby boy and we are having a really hard time feeding him. Sometimes a whole day goes by and he will not take solid food or the bottle. He will seal his lips so we can't put the spoon in his mouth, no matter what we try. If we try the bottle he just plays with his tongue and will not suck on it.
    We have tried all the fruits, vegetables and rice cereal.
    Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,

msmslau is offline Registered User
    feeding baby is by far the most time consuming thing for me. I have a 1 yr old daughter who went through the food refusal stage. here is what i learn:

1. try to feed the baby when he/she is still (like in high chair). feeding a "running" baby is a nightmare and not a good habit

2. eat with them at the same time - babies like to pretend to be adults. when they see you eat, they try to imitate

3. offer them finger foods (carrot, asparagus, meat, fruits, crackers etc) to keep their hands busy while you feed them.

4. when finger foods don't work, offer their favorite toys

I put my daughter in the highchair 5 times a day (3 meals and 2 snacks) and she seems to get used to it. It is a lot of work cleaning but at least she eats.

nanzbier is offline Registered User
    My daughter did this twice....and each time would not eat for 1 week! I was going crazy! She did still breastfeed though...I noticed everytime she did this, she was teething or not feeling well. Just keep trying to feed but not force it....eventually they come around and make it all up! =)

gabitu_ola is offline Registered User

It's like you are describing my baby!

I have the same problem with my son since he was 4 months old. He refused the bottle, so use started giving him formula tickened with rice. Use spoon fed it to him. He is 7 1/2 months and he is still the same. He is a very happy baby, expect for when he needs to eat. During meals times, it's like we have the circus in the house. When we put his bib on, he knows that it's mealtime, so he starts crying. He cries to bad, that he turns purple. We do everything to distract him, from playing loud music, to making funny faces, using lights on the computer monitor, use bang pots and pans together... Trust me, if anybody would see us, they would think we are crazy. And he is like that evry meal, every day. We do manage to give him about 5,6 oz of food 4 times per day. Since everything he is eating is solid, he gets constipated. Use started giving him water with a medication dropper. He drinks it, because he thinks we are playing with him. Many times after he eats, my son vomits, so I have to do the same routine all over again. It takes me about 45 minutes per meal to feed him.
    Good luck!

IcedCappuccino is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by jjancso
    Hello everyone,
    We have an 8 month old baby boy and we are having a really hard time feeding him. Sometimes a whole day goes by and he will not take solid food or the bottle. He will seal his lips so we can't put the spoon in his mouth, no matter what we try. If we try the bottle he just plays with his tongue and will not suck on it.
    We have tried all the fruits, vegetables and rice cereal.
    Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Does he boo-boo or vomit? Sometimes if the digestive system of baby is not working well, they will eat less or even refrain from food. (Just like something got stuck inside) MAKE SURE HE GETS ENOUGH FLUID. If situation persist, do consult a ped.

bellamei is offline Registered User
    My son was like that since five months old and now eleven months old. I realise the more I force him, the more he hates to eat. Babies will eat whenever they are hungry. I feed him three solid a day plus 6 oz of milk four times a day. When he is not hungry, he will get fussy and give us hard time to feed him. My son loves to read and listen to story. So, we will read him story and sing to him. But when he wants to eat, he will open his mouth and wait for the food.

sandyg is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by gabitu_ola View Post
    I have the same problem with my son since he was 4 months old. He refused the bottle, so use started giving him formula tickened with rice. Use spoon fed it to him. He is 7 1/2 months and he is still the same. He is a very happy baby, expect for when he needs to eat. During meals times, it's like we have the circus in the house. When we put his bib on, he knows that it's mealtime, so he starts crying. He cries to bad, that he turns purple. We do everything to distract him, from playing loud music, to making funny faces, using lights on the computer monitor, use bang pots and pans together... Trust me, if anybody would see us, they would think we are crazy. And he is like that evry meal, every day. We do manage to give him about 5,6 oz of food 4 times per day. Since everything he is eating is solid, he gets constipated. Use started giving him water with a medication dropper. He drinks it, because he thinks we are playing with him. Many times after he eats, my son vomits, so I have to do the same routine all over again. It takes me about 45 minutes per meal to feed him.
    Good luck!
    you poor thing!!!! we have the same problem with our 6mth son!!! like you bottle feeding times is such a drama sometimes I have to sit with him for an hr before he will settle in a sleep like state to feed by then the milk is cold and then you have to repeat the process again!!! frustrating isn't it... who ever would have thought that a baby wouldn't want to drink since they need it to survive and thrive... I think they do it just to get under our skin and make us worry about them... can you take your child out and feed them? I'm feeling very house bound at present since Harrison can't have any distractions at feeding time, hence can't go out unless it's after feed time.

nsl
    nsl is offline Registered User
    I have a similar issue now. My daughter is almost 9 months and she doesnt like formula. She's been bf all along and i only started to introduce solid at 6 months and formula a week ago. Her schedule is like:
    7.00 bf
    9.00 formula 90 ml
    12.00 1/2 bowl oat cereal with fruit
    3.00 formula 90 ml
    6.00 a bowl of brown rice/meat/veg
    9.00 bf
    She only takes formula when she's really hungry and most time it's only 90 ml. Today i tried cutting down the oat and giving her more formula but she refused. However, she was ok when i added some oat into her formula. Should i change her formula? she was alergic to A+ so i'm giving her Nan HA now. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast