Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Staying Indoors Post-Birth

AshleeRae is offline Registered User
    Deep Water BAy, Hong Kong
    It was interesting reading about your views on staying indoors or not after brith. Aside from germs, it seems that a consistent routine especially while breast feeding, stay in a calming quiet environment, all the while allowing your body to heal and dealing with this new person seems to be the way to go. I am just about 4 months along myself, so I will see when I get there.

Also, I just have to ask, who keeps touching your babies?? Is this a cultural thing here in HK? How do you all handle it without seeming like a crazy new Mom? People need to keep their hands off!

Good Luck Moms!

JennyB is offline Registered User
    Discovery Bay
    The touching thing is definitely cultural. Something about lack of personal space boundaries. It is even worse in mainland China. Same issue in the hospitals: medical professionals sometimes come and prod you here without announcing who they are or what they are going to do.

I was in a shop the other day and my baby was fussing so I took her out of the sling to have a look around. Somebody next to me in the shop, without making any conversation with me, tried to disentangle a hair from my baby's hand!

You can go one of either two ways, (a) keep your baby covered up (in slings, or strollers with mozzie nets/rain covers on), and try to anticipate situations where people are going to want to touch your baby, or (b) go with the flow, accept they can catch germs from the air and sitting next to people even if they don't touch them, and they will gain something from the social interaction. I veer between the two depending on what mood I'm in.

DRW is offline Registered User
    CC, Hong Kong
    That's sometimes I hate when they touch my baby without concern. But I just cannot tell them not to touch him. So what I did was asked my hubby to carry our baby and he was really straight told them not to touch the baby!!! A bit extreme I knew but we told them as well it was for hygiene. It was like paranoid :( but that was when he was very small.

I followed like JennyB (a) n (b) option. Just see the situations when I used those options. :)

joannek is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    i stayed indoors for 40days as per chinese doc recommendation. (except for the doctors visit, where i was covered up head to toe (literally), it was the coldest time of the year. i was struggling with bf-ing for the first 4 mths, so i had to stay at home where it's peaceful to keep myself sane, plus my baby was crying a lot. whenever i brought her out, she'd cry. i finally brought her out when she was 5 mths, to go where there were fresh air & not a lot of people. i was paranoid to let people touch her even when my friends were visiting me at home, so when we went out i didn't lt anyone touched her (a little crazy looking back). If someone would approach me, i would step back, or bring baby way. thank God she's now 19mths & people still wanna touch her, so i just wipe her ace/hands/wherever with disinfecting wipes afterwards.

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    don't forget that babies and young children NEED to be exposed to germs. if they aren't they will have a badly underdeveloped immune system that may affect them later in life. you may not be protecting them as much as making them more sickly in the future.

good luck everyone with what you feel comfortable with. that's the most important thing after all, isn't it?

Kiwi Family is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Wow, it is so interesting reading everyones different thoughts, beliefs and experiences.
    We took our boy out to a cafe with friends at 2 days old and then never looked back.
    Try not to be too horrified :-) We were at home in NZ and the environment and air is quite different.
    I have utmost respect for those that stay at home for their beliefs/tradition, actually a great idea to not "do anything" if that is really possible for any great length of time, for alot of women more supportive for the recovery process.
    It makes more sense, but for me personally I (and hubby) cant sit still for more than 10 mins so it didnt suit our family.

cristletips is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    We came home from the hospital after 2 days. I should've stayed longer and allowed myself to be looked after by the nurses for a few days longer. Just to get some extra sleep.

We had to go back to the hospital after 4 days to get the blood test from the foot (forget what it's called). And we went to the mall the next day. We kept going out frequently to restaurants, walking, and the mall. I think I would have gone insane if I stayed in our house!!!

She got her first cold at age 5 1/2 months.

So I guess it's just a matter of the germ. can be lurking anytime, anywhere.

BBTang is offline Registered User
    UK and HK
    As some Docs say... the first 3-4 months of a BB's life is the most strongest, or most immune to germs. Since being inside the mummy for 9 months, has benefited from the mummy's immune system.

Though for some reason, BF-ing doesn't carry the same effect, as some of you have mentioned. Hmm...not sure why...
    The TANG Clan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123