Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

***HELP - breastfeeding two months

joannek is offline Registered User
    nikimom just sent u a pm, pls check

jools is offline Registered User
    Hi,
    In actual fact the breast never stops making milk, the supply is always there. Your breast only starts to feel hard when it is becoming full, but as I say the supply is always there. Your breasts become engorged when the milk has no where else to go. A soft breast is one that is breastfeeding efficiently.

Different babies feed in different ways. My first child used to feed for 45 minutes at a time, take both breasts, but only need to feed every three hours. My second child used only take one breast, but feed more frequently; she would also only feed for 10 minutes at a time. My third baby feeds for 10-15 minutes at a time and usually takes both breasts. If you feed on demand then the baby will get what they need.

If she is gaining weight and having the right number of wet/dirty nappies in the day, then personally I would worry about topping her up with expressed milk. Remember that she can get much more out of your breast than any pump can and she is therefore, probably getting alot more than you think she is.

I hope this helps.

Jools

cinnamon is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by nikimom
    thank you all for your prompt reply, so surprised to see all the advice just after lunch.
    You are rite, I've been suffering from plugged ducts, and I actually have an independent lactation consultant visit me, but my plugged ducts dont seem to be any better.
    I was also experiencing low milk supply due to plugged ducts, so I've tried to feed her on demand without topping up with expressed milk. But she would slept on my breast after 5 to 10 mins...and she hasnt even empty the first breast. sometimes when (but rarely) she's reli hungry, and she seemed to have empty both my breasts, she still appear to be very hungry. Thats why I have the habit of giving her top up.
    Another reason is the several days that I didnt give her the top up , she didnt poo for 3 days. So my husband and I decided that she wasnt taking in enuf.
    Now when i breastfeed her on one breast, the other leak (half to 1 oz) so I develop the habit of expressing with the medela style pump on one breast, while feeding her on teh other.
    But now, she seems to be hungry again after 3 hours..even I top her up with 5 oz...am I giving her the right amount...does she need more?
    HI Nikimom
    I feel for you
    Getting it right is so much fine tuning. And once you think you have got on track it all changes.
    I remember the frustration and challenge of the early months (my daughter is 7 months now) but it does get easier. Stick with it. And try to relax (i know, i know! easier said than done)

I just wanted to add a few things.
    Is your baby putting on weight?
    Is your doctor concerned?
    If she is putting on weight and your doctor is not concerned not, try not to worry
    I just wanted to point out a few things

1. Pooing!
    It is actually "normal" for a breastfed baby to poo after every feed and to poo only once a week. In otherwords what is normal will vary from baby to baby. I think it is more important to see if your baby is having a wet nappy. If she is having a wet nappy after most feeds, then you can be sure that she is drinking enough. (assuming you are only breastfeeding and not other fluids)
    She may just be one of those once every 3 day babies.

2. Leaking breasts
    This is totally normal.
    I still leak now when I feed from the otherside. Some women will leak when they hear their baby cry or even when they just think about them.Dont worry you are not loosing the milk your baby needs (as Jools pointed out your breasts will make what your baby needs and the baby can suck out much more than you could ever manually pump)

3. falling asleep.
    YEs my baby would do this alot as well. I tried tickling her under her chin, her feet,playing with her, undressing her and changing her nappy in between. SOmtimes it worked and sometimes it didnt.
    In the end, if baby is steadily gaining weight. Dont worry. Sleep is as important to growth as eating is.

4.soft breasts
    Someone else mentioned that your breast will go back to being soft when they are making milk properly. they will only be hard if they are engorged.

5 . 5min sucker.
    I was frantic when my baby didnt do the 45 min feed that all the books tell you is normal.trying to get her to eat for 20 mins on each breast was a lot of tickling and jiggling rather than eating. she went from 20mins to 5 mins on one breast only within the 1st month. She was fine and was just a good little sucker
    again if she is putting on weight, then this is normal for her.
    Enjoy it! Lucky you doesnt have to be sat there for 45mins every 3 hours just feeding!

6. 3 hr feeder.
    Hungry every 3 hours is good!
    Infact for a breast fed baby this is right in the middle of what is usually advised (between 2 - 4hrs) especially for a 2 month old.
    I dont know what routine you are following, but I found my baby fell into a 3 hr routine (occasional 4-5 hr between feeds, sometimes 2 hr between feeds)
    My health carer suggested a 3 hr routine
    approx: 1 1/2 hours up (including feeding) 1 1/2 hour sleep.
    This was to ensure that she was hungry enough at the next feed to get to the fatty hind milk and not just keep taking the sugary fore milk

Breast feeding is hard because you cant see what the baby is taking, but if the baby is putting on weight (check with your doctor)
    Having a wet nappy after most feeds and the urine is light coloured , not dark yellow and not smelly.
    If baby is generally happy (of course they all cry and tend to have a bad period once a day) and is alert and responsive when awake, then you should not worry and enjoy your time with your baby.

Also I agree with Jools that if baby is doing all og the above, then you probably dont need to top her up with the bottle after you have fed.

Good luck!

eva
    eva is offline Registered User
    My baby is 6 mth old now, been through ALL that you have mentioned above, plus the worrying...but now when i look back, it's really nothing to worry about.
    1) it doesn't matter how long bb feeds, mine is a 3 minutes (1 side only) feeder every 3 hours, and she's 75 percentile in weight, from a below average birth weight. I never top up with anything.
    2) a lot of bb are sleepy feeders, let them fall asleep, they wont starve themselves.
    3) worrying about milk supply, as long as you keep on feeding her everyday, you'll have milk. It's an illusion that you dont have enough because it's not engorged. Actually normal lactating breasts should be soft.
    4) Better not keep schedule too strict. Every 3 hours (or 4) as a guideline, but if bb is hungry or even just cranky in between, feed her. Mine actually doesnt wanna drink sometimes for 5 hours straight, i dont worry now anymore coz she's so fat.
    5) Take everything easy and there's really no right way to do anything, as long as bb is gaining weight steadily and has enough wet nappies, who cares if it is text book schedule. If you think topping up makes you feel better, do so. If you wanna try take out the top-up, try it and watch bb closely.
    At the end of the day, you dont wanna spend your precious time worrying instead of enjoying with bb.

jools is offline Registered User
    Hi,
    Just another thought. The every three hours idea for feeding came about because on average a newborn feeds between 8 and 14 times in 24 hours; so if you divide it up, taking 8 as the average, that's once every 3 hours. Babies don't stick to this routine. For example, my daughter used to stick to the 3 hour 'rule' during the day and then during the early evening she would feed every hour, sometimes every half an hour for a while before she went to sleep (we used to say she was carbo-loading before bed time).

I completely agree with Eva, try not to worry about this. Enjoy every minute that you can, they are only this little for such a short space of time.

Jools

nikimom is offline Registered User
    Hi All, thx for all the useful info and support
    Joannek, I'm actually seeing Mrs Chee only, and she suggested if I feel that my daughter is not having enuf, since she would only suck for a such a short while on my breast, its advisable that I give her top up. Since now that she only poos every two/ three days, thats wt worries me.
    We are goin for the second month injection today, n I'll see if she is thriving, i'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    will reply later

nikimom is offline Registered User
    doctor said my daughter is gaining weight properly, 11lbs at 2 mths, but she only poos every 2/3 days..it makes me reli worry

cinnamon is offline Registered User
    Hey Nikimom
    Your baby is gaining weight! congratulations she is happy and healthy. You should be proud of how well you are doing.
    I presume your doctor told you not to worry.
    If you read any baby books you will see that they tell you that 3-4 days is normal. My book tells me that some breast fed babies can go for 3 weeks with out going and that this is still normal.
    Babies are just like adults. I bet if you asked all your friends how often they "go" you will find that not everyone goes once a day!
    Some people go more than once a day and some once a week and they are all healthy!
    So dont worry. give yourself a big hug for doing so well with the breast feeding and relax and enjoy the time with your darling (growing) baby

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast