Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

***HELP - breastfeeding two months

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Cinnamon is right. The range of healthy is wide. It is normal for fully breastfed babies to have five poos a day and it is also normal for healthy breastfed babies to only poo once every two weeks.

If your baby only poos once every two weeks when she does go – it tends to be a lot! Whereas the babies who poo five times a day only have a small amount each time.

When a baby is pooing less often there may be more solid matter in it but as long as the poo is still soft and not hurting the baby as it comes out there is no problem. Most babies need to concentrate while filling their nappies but they shouldn’t be crying and in pain.

As your doctor is happy with your baby - try to relax and enjoy your time together.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

Geo
    Geo is offline Registered User
    HI, I breastfeeded my baby from birth to 6 mths and up to now, 14 mth, I still worry about his poo. In the 1st 6 mth, his poo was every 2-3 days. And I have heard alot from friends that theirs was daily. But I saw him gaining weight and is happy, so I just relaxed myself. Some advice was that this baby was just too efficient, absorbing all the nutrients without waste. Anyway, after the 1st 6 mth, it was still 2-3 days. Until recently, it changed to daily or every other day. So as long as baby is healthy. 2-3 days poo is fine but if it gets longer than that, you need to monitor closely. Now though it is daily poo but sometimes it was paste like, sometimes it was hard small balls. And I adjust his liquid/vegi intake accordingly.Cheers.

nikimom is offline Registered User
    thanks cinnamon, sarah and geo!!!! i feel alot more better with your support and encouragement. one thing that geo mentioned strikes me, cos so happens that the poo that my daughter had last time was paste like and i was thinking if i am eating food thats difficult to digest or i'm not taking enouh liquid, or in other words, am i eating food thats too "hot air" in the chinese thinking. so i should give her some water, she is just 10 weeks, i'm afraid giving her water would hold up her appetite for the milk, wt should i do?

i'm worried abt giving her water cos as i mentioned before, she only gets the fore milk on my breast and is starting to reject bottle recently..so i reli dont want her to take any less milk

i recently have another concern, she seems to have a lot of gas all the time and she looks as if she want to throw up all the time. its difficult to burp her and she farts and hiccups alot... now that she gets very cranky easily as i can see that she's suffering from the gas in her stomach...some of my friends said i should give her infacol - hte wind drops, but should i do that only after consulting the doctor,i dont want to bring her to hte dr and tell him just that she has a lot of gas...pls advice

joannek is offline Registered User
    herre i am again. my baby had a lot of gas (from a lot of the formilk), too. i used to rub olive oil between my palms & gently massage her tummy, clockwise. i also nursed her one side on each feed so she gets more of the hindmilk & less gas.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Dear Nikimom,

Normal healthy breastfeed poos come in many different styles!
    Some are watery, some pasty, some seedy and some curdy – usually they are a mustard yellow brown colour but sometimes they can even be a green colour.

There is no need to add water to your baby’s diet before starting solids at around six months of age – the best is to exclusively breastfeed – this means giving nothing but breast milk. As you say when adding water there is the chance of the baby filling up on water (which has no calories) rather than on milk. Also the protective factors in the breast milk aren’t as strong as soon as you start to add other food and this includes water.

Gas in the baby has two choices – either the baby burps it up or it passes all the way through. It the gas is causing no problems for the baby then it doesn’t matter which way the gas comes out. If, however, the baby is colicy and crying because of the gas then you want to try to help. Often in babies that cry a lot, whether from colic or reflux, it helps to have lots of small feeds rather than less larger ones – this usually results in the baby getting more fat in the feeds. And the babies seem to get comfort from the breastfeeding.

Hope this helps, best wishes,
    SARAH

nikimom is offline Registered User
    Thx Joannek again! I'll try the massage after bath today.

And thank you Sarah as well, I'll try to give her more smaller feeds, but she doesnt seem to be satisfied until she gets the 5oz top up expressed milk, and now she feeds every four hours during the day and three hours in the evening. I'll give her samller feeds in the evening so at least she can sleep better at nite.

BIG ****ES FOR YOU GUYS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123