Birth in HK - What do I do first?
- 09-19-2006, 01:46 PM #9
so you can have a private doctor and book a c-section in public or you still need a good reason? I also heard that Queen Mary does not allow children in the ward so my daughter would not be allowed to vist? Have you heard this?
- 09-19-2006, 02:18 PM #10Registered User
- Join Date
- Mar 2006
- Discovery Bay, Hong Kong
Private doctors in HK are not able to practice in public hospitals. So if you have a private doctor but plan to give birth in a public hospital by c-section, your private doctor can not perform it; you will have whatever doctor is on duty at the public hospital at that time.
If you don't have a good reason for a c-section, i.e. what the public hospital would determine as a good/medical reason, but still wanted one then I believe you would have to go private.
Am not familiar personally with the public system, but this is what friends who are have told me; my obstetrician also said that if I had gone into labour early, i.e. before 34 weeks (private hospitals do not accept patients who go into labour before 34 weeks) and I would have had to of gone public, he wouldn't be able to deliver the baby. Fortunetly I am now 36 weeks!
- 09-19-2006, 02:44 PM #11
they do not allow chidlren on the ard. they can come and wait in the "husband's room" outside the ward. the problem with this is... you can't take your baby out of the ward. so in order for them to meet, you have to stand on the threshold of the ward.
i think that when i give birth early next year, i'll have my son come to visit me, but probably not meet the baby until it's time to go home. i think that it might save a little stress for everyone.
- By tet in forum Preparing for the ArrivalReplies: 2Last Post: 04-24-2008, 01:35 PM
- By wasabibunny in forum Babies Born in 2008Replies: 11Last Post: 02-20-2008, 06:17 PM
- By hkjandk in forum Hong Kong Pregnancy ForumReplies: 6Last Post: 01-12-2008, 01:26 AM
- By mamamau in forum Hong Kong Pregnancy ForumReplies: 6Last Post: 09-22-2005, 09:08 AM
- By Gretchen in forum Preparing for the ArrivalReplies: 6Last Post: 03-07-2005, 04:47 PM