Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does this coverage sound right?

Denger is offline Banned

Does this coverage sound right?

Hi everyone,

I just received my maternity insurance pamphet. Here is an excerpt:

Maternity benefits covers all expenses (up to the benefit limit stated below) during pre-natal and post-natal periods; actual charges made by the hospital for room and board, general nursing care and special hospital services and any obstetrician's fee relating to the same pregnancy.

Currency
    Normal Delivery $12,500 HKD
    C-Section $18,500 HKD

Am I missing something or does this seem extremely low for a large multinational company? Should I insist on a better package? Are there other self-coverage options?

Thanks for your advice!

Denger is offline Banned

Oh, I also read some people talk about buying maternity insurance on your own. One person mentioned Allianz's unlimited coverage for about $17,000 HKD/year and another mentioned Global Health coverage for a simialr amount.

Does anyone know where I can get more info on these insurance products? I checked out the Allianz website and couldnt find anything.

Thanks!

Bear Lau is offline Registered User

I had one with unlimited 100% maternity reimbursement but cost USD700 per month(include other medical expenses) when I gave birth to my little daughter.

After her birth I changed to another coverage from International Health Insurance which is from Denmark. The premium you paid depend on the amount of deductible you have chosen.I have chosen a deductible of USD400/year, my premium (age 38) cost USD 2,517peryear with 100% reimbursement for CS section with maximium of USD 12,000 and USD 6,500 for normal delivery.

I contact them through a brooker named Tel: 3113 2112.

Just a general point, if you got a individual medical insurance, there is normally a 10-12 months waiting period for maternity reimbursment.

I just realise that you are from LA, are u going to relocate to HK ? Just let you know, most of the local (HK) medical insurance do not cover maternity expenses.

Last edited by rani; 09-12-2006 at 10:31 PM.
    Bear Lau:

rani is offline Administrator

I signed up with William Russell.

They cover a max of US$6.4K for prenatal/ and a normal delivery. US$9.6K if there are any complications and the baby is also covered up to $40K for the first 28days

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Also, a couple of members have used MediBroker

http://www.medibroker.com/

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Denger is offline Banned

Thanks everyone.

Rani, what does the William Russell coverage cost? I know this varies, but I'd like to get a rough idea of the annual premiums so I know what amount to negotiate with my employer.

Bear Lau, I am currently in LA but will be moving to HK shortly. About your premiums, isn't $700USD/month excessive? If you need to maintain this insurance for at least 9 months, the premiums add up to $6300 USD which is about the cost of the pregnancy itself.

Thanks for the advice thus far!

WR is around US$2,000/year. THis is for Area 1 cover which is worldwide and only includes A&E in the US for the frist 45days.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

AnitaC is offline Banned

Denger, here is some info for you:

Global Health - Max. Cover USD$80,000, Waiting period 3 months, elective C-section is covered, new born cover for a year, in-patient and out patient cover

Advantage: short waiting period, relatively low premium for in and our patient cover

Allianz - Unlimiated Cover, waiting period 10 months, elective C-section is not covered, new born cover for a year, in-patient cover, and elective out patient cover

Advantage: unlimiated cove, relatively low premium if you only need in-patient cover.

I do not like William Russell and Goodhealth because you have to pay 20% towards the expenses, and worry about the limit.

I also not like Bupa Int'l because of its very high premium compared to other insurers.

Hope this helps!

Anita

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast