Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Bringing helper to the U.S.

Niterz is offline Registered User

Bringing helper to the U.S.

We will probably be moving back to the U.S. at end 2006 and I really would like to bring my helper with me. She's just such a great person and the kids love her like a sister. I'm willing to pay her U.S. wages and go through all legal rigamorol it takes to hire someone in the states (i.e., sponsoring her, etc.)

Does anyone have any experience in trying to bring their helper back to the U.S. ? I checked with the U.S. embassy and their advice is basically "good luck". It's so hard for non-U.S. citizens to get a visa to the states these days that I just wonder if someone knows someone who has actually managed to accomplish this or have gone through the process themselves (successfully or unsuccessfully) with their helper.

Any advice is appreciated.

met_74 is offline Registered User

I have just interviewed a helperwho worked for 4 years for an american family and they also tried to take her with them to the uSA. She went there but had to go back because they did not grant her a visa. This was 4 years ago so i don't know how it is now to bring someone over.
    Good luck!

usfret is offline Registered User

MY colleague desperately wanted to take along her helper too. The lady had been with her since she was a child - she basically used to take care of her when was little and was now like a member of the family lookinf after her three girls. They tried very hard but her visa was rejected in HK itslef. Poor thing had to return home and my colleague was very disappointed. This was 2 years ago. So be warned it is Tough. But having said that good luck. We all know just how valuable our helpers are and if you do succeed please do let us know.

Cheers.

rani is offline Administrator

A friend of ours managed to take her helper last year. Her husband is American and she's Singaporean. He got a new job and was part of an Int'l team. I think they were successful because they convinced the consulate that it was a 2 year assignment and they weren't going home for good.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Niterz is offline Registered User

Thanks, everyone. I'm already kinda of thinking its not going to happen due to the cavalier response I received from the U.S. consulate but I'm going to try anyway. Will post my experience (pos or neg) online when I'm through.