Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby cries bitterly when he wakes up from his sleep

Dal
    Dal is offline Registered User

Baby cries bitterly when he wakes up from his sleep

Hi all

I have recently tried to train my baby to sleep on his own on his crib by leaving him to fuss and cry on his own.
    Before this, I have either used a rocker or cuddled him until he falls asleep before putting him down on the crib.
    I realised that he is getting used to be rocked in order to fall asleep, so decided to do something about it.
    But these days, he still wakes up in the middle of the night at least once but not due to hunger most of the time, as he barely drinks for 5 minutes on my breast and fell asleep.
    Worse still, he cries bitterly these days when he wakes up from his sleep, both daytime naps and during middle of the night.
    I am confused whether my "training" has caused the change in him (as in loud crying when he gets awake).
    Has anyone face the same problem and can offer me some advice?
    Thanks.

joannek is offline Registered User

how old is your baby?

Dal

Hi Joan

He is 5 mths old.

i would imagine it's the training. it depends if you really wanna train your baby to sleep on its own. if so, you'd probably have to stick to your plan & let him cry, with you going in & padding him. leaving him alone to sleep & padding him are 2 different things to him. the former let hime thinks that he's alone, the 2nd let him know that someone or mommy is there with him & give him more security.

whatever you've decided to do, stick with it, so baby won't be confused. but i believe that they all eventually learn to sleep on their own. that's what happen to my 19mth. now she only needs to be pad (but we did it gradually).

Dal

Hi Joan

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Surprisingly my baby is now able to sleep on his crib both nap time and bed time without much fuss (fell asleep within 5 minutes or less).

What I did was I placed 2 bolsters on each side of his head. I think babies always like a sense of security and touch.
    I also pat and sing lullaby to him and when he starts to drift away, I leave him alone in the room.
    When I return to check on him 5 min later, he is already sound asleep.

Frankly I only started doing this the day before and surprisingly my baby is able to grasp the "technique" by today.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that he will enjoy his sleep this way going forward.

For mums who have the same problem as me, hope this can provide some consolation to you that this can really be done as long as we are persistent and believe in our babies!

well done!!

padding & lullaby are very soothing. =)