Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

1yr old gets distressed when he hears other babies

bbc mom is offline Registered User

1yr old gets distressed when he hears other babies

I’ve noticed my 12.5mth son has developed anxiety whenever he hears other babies. I don’t think the problem is actually seeing them – he’s fine when we’re out in public and sees lots of babies/kids at the children’s library and playgrounds. It’s when babies/kids make actual noises and sounds that seems to distress him.

Just today we were at a restaurant and he was totally fine, then we heard a baby cry out and that got him all distressed so I had to take him for a walk outside just to calm him down. Then later on we were walking in the plaza, and some kids were running along making a bit of a racket and that caused him to suddenly start crying.

He’s totally fine around adults and with all other day to day noises, it seems only babies noises/babbling affect him.

I have also recently started to meet other mums and their babies and was hoping to join more playgroups, but it doesn’t seems possible to continue as I can only calm him down by removing him from the situation.

Has anyone experienced this with their baby? What did you do? Any advice would be much appreciated.

loupou is offline Baby Guru

I've read that experiments show that babies can show empathy with other babies by expressing distress when other babies show distress (by crying etc.). So, it seems to be a normal.

I would give it some time and see how it develops.