Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weaning

usfret is offline Registered User

Weaning

Tried it when my baby turned 5 months old. First offered some light lentil soup. He had a tsate and then refused it. Next day I tried pureed carrots mixed with breast milk. But no luck with that either. Have given up for the time being - maybe he's just not ready? I really want to start him off on natural foods rather than store bought commercial food. Did any of you start with natural foods - veg/fruit purees?

I'd appreciate any advice. I'm worried that he is not getting enough breast milk. Even though he does seem satisfied and happy and doesn't fuss or cry during feeds.

thanks.

joannek is offline Registered User
    i started with organic rice cereal (the powder one), with breastmilk at 6 mths. she liked it. but first i made it quite liquid. i did that for 1 wk. then i added a little pureed banana (babies usually like them cos they're sweet). i did that for a week again, and then i switched to steamed apple (you half the apple, take out the core & steam for 5 mins), then steamed green pear, for another week. then mashed avocado. there goes my first month already. by now, baby was 7 mths, and she was more adventurous. but try to stick with fruits first. they better than lentil soup, which a lot of adults don't even like.

the foods that i mentioned are the foods that very popular with babies. they're natural and you can easily find organic or from Australia.

my suggestion is, start giving sth simple, so if he develops a reaction, you know which one it is.

happy feeding!!

rani is offline Administrator
    Usfret,

have a read through this thread on Weaning

When to introduce solid food for a beastfeed boy?

I started with rice cereal/breast milk too for a couple of weeks.
    Then introduced pears, carrots, sweet potatoes.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Great. Will try rice cereal. But do you reckon I should wait until six months ( my health advisor seems to think so) but she said if I was really keen than 5.5 is okay too. I'm not really in a rush. Just not sure baby is getting enough. He has approx 4oz 7 -8 times a day. Is that okay for a 5 month old?

joannek is offline Registered User
    i waited until my baby was 6mths. i did a little research before i waited. and here is what i found out:

apparently, all the nutrients that babies need before they're 6 mths are provided in breastmilk/formula. if you feed them solid before then, there tummy get filled up, so they can't take enough milk, so it's actually not as good for them to be taking anything else other than bm/formula. bm before 6mths are VERY nutritious & fattening (for brain development) whereas formula are formulated for 0-6mths (that's why you usually change to follow-on at 6mths).

that's why i waited until she was 6mths.

p.s. if anyone here knows anything that says otherwise, pls let me know. =)

rani is offline Administrator
    Usfret

have a read through DrGreene's article.

http://www.drgreene.com/21_857.html

D started solids at 5.5 months too.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

hey guys! Tried rice cereal today and voila! Baby gobbled it up! Course am sure more was outside than inside but atleast it was a start

I gave him the cereal first and then breast milk. He didnt seem to like the spoon so I ended up having him suck on my finger and that seemed to work.

Happy. Happy Happy.

Rani,

Thanks for the link. It's really informative. I find that nowdays when I pump I seem to getting less milk (only around 2oz) Earlier I used to get anywhere between 4 - 5 oz from 1 breast alone! Anyone of you moms experienced this? I am pumping 3 times day at present and direct feeding 5 times a day. Is there anything I can do to increase the amount of milk I express?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast