Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Good OBGY for twins?

A&A
    A&A is offline Registered User
    I am pregnant with identical twin boys and over 35, so, they consider me a high risk... although I have been reading many strings on the forums about high risk and non-high risk deliveries at QM... here is the latest one that has a lot of information about delivering at QM:
    http://www.geobaby.com/forum/showthr...451#post840451

Overall it seems like you get the same treatment at QM and the doctors and staff really are great regardless. For me, I think because of the twins, I feel safe and confident delivering at QM. I know I won't be pampered (except by my husband), but I do know my babies will be (most important)... and that they will be in the right place in case anything goes wrong, or if they come early.

I am happy to hear that QM encourages breastfeeding and that they encourage the babies to stay in the room next to you. There were a couple items on my "delivery wish list" that they could not accomodate, but that is why I found it important to register with Tsan Yuk/QM and to have at least one appointment with one of the public doctors before I go into labor. The doctor and the midwife were both patient and thorough as we went through each item on my wish list.

I was impressed with the doctor I saw at Tsan Yuk. She was extremely attentive and knowledgable. She listened to my questions and asked many questions about how I was doing. But, if we go public, of course we won't know who is delivering the twins until we are admitted on delivery day.

JDee is offline Registered User

Smile

Corina & A&A - thanks again for all your information. It's very helpful to hear from other mothers having twins. Mine are also identical and at first we were told they might be MoMo twins (same amniotic sac) which is one of the reasons I was so worried. It now looks like they might be in separate amniotic sacs which would be great. I'm also over 35 and given the twins share a placenta I'm told there are still risks to look out for but I'm now more hopeful of having a normal pregnancy. I'm still very early so I'm just waiting to get to at least 12 weeks before I relax a little!

Thanks for the links and information re QM as well. I will have a read & look into registering there. I'll also check in with you guys at a later stage when I'm sure I'll have more questions.

All the best.

somebodyfamous is offline Registered User

Talking

Hi JDee!

Congratulations!

I'm one of the other two remaining twin moms-to-be! We're planning to have them at Adventist, our ob is Dr. Stevenson and he has lots of experience with twins. We are aware that twins have a higher chance of being born prematurely and need to get to that 36 weeks mark. However I've not registered at Tsan Yuk (not to tempt fate!) as our Dr has said he knows the QM doctors very well and would bring over my files etc and brief them on my background. I received great care from my doc & the Adventist during the first trimester when I had complications and was hospitalised twice.

I'm at 31 and half weeks now

I go to a great twins board online (you can google it - twin stuff) and know now that not every twin pregnancy has to be 'high risk'. Although it is MORE stressful and demanding than a singleton pregnancy.

Let us all know what you decide to do!

KatBoo is offline Registered User
    JDee, when are you due? I'm also preg with twins...16 weeks now. Had horrendous mornng sickness which is only just beginning to pass now. In theory I am due at end June, but Dr says will probs be early June as twins rarely make it to full 40 weeks (plus my first was 4 weeks early).

I am seeing Dr Sally Ferguson, who has been brilliant to date. When I first discovered it was twins, I went into panic mode and considered a termination...she was absolutely brilliant in helping me sort out my head (wih no bias either way).

As yet, I haven't registered with QM, but Dr says that at 24 weeks I will go for a visit there anyway as if go into labour before 26 weeks, the Matilda wont admit you as they don't have the best equipment....but they will admit after 26 weeks (she says it's really really expensive at the Matilda to pay for all the oxygen and care that would be needed if they are that prem as the Matilda charge for everything!).

Would be good to see how you're doing and which Doc you decided to go with.

Kat

somebodyfamous is offline Registered User
    I was told that neither Matilda nor Adventist would accept you before 35 weeks! I knew someone who was pregnant with twins who went into labour at 33 weeks and Matilda wouldn't admit her and she ended up at Queen Mary.......

KatBoo is offline Registered User
    oh! something to ask the doc on next visit me-thinks. to be honest, I had only just found out it was twins when she gave me that info, so is quite likely my head wasn't really in an info absorbing mode!!

Thx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12