Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Queen Mary Hospital- after delivery

alibali is offline Registered User
    wow, thank you so much for your helpful information. You've given me some good ideas for my birth plan and what I should be able to ask for in the hospital. Queen Mary seems to have a reputation for not "volunteering help/ info" (I go to Tsan Yuk for my antenatal visits and it's a bit the same- ask me to lie on the examining table, but not tell me what they are about to do...), so it's good to know what kind of requests I can make and expect to be fulfilled. Also, this is my first baby, so I don't have a previous birth experience to compare to.

planb is offline Registered User
    alibali, you're absolutely correct. I think I really hated my experience there because I had such a wonderful experience in Australia with the birth of my first daughter. I found myself feeling very homesick and was wishing I was back there.

JennyB is offline Registered User
    I have just been told there is an inaccuracy in my post... Matilda apparently do allow babies to room in, even in the non-private rooms shared with other people. Not relevant to this thread but don't want to defame Matilda unfairly!

geiboyi is offline Registered User
    With QMH you need to insist that they tell you what they are doing, and preferably ask first. I was outraged when I was having an internal exam after hours of labour and there was some pain and I asked what she was doing - 'oh, I'm breaking your waters' or something - I mean, really they ought to ask if they are doing something like that. But then I saw dozens of doctors during my labour and all except the last one (who finally managed to haul the baby out) were really bloody rude to me. This time I am going in prepared for this, and will not be taking bad attitude from anyone, or I will be out having this baby in the corridor. Or the cafeteria. Or the car park...

JennyB is offline Registered User
    Yeah, I had on my birth plan "Please try not to touch me, or perform any medical intervention, without asking me first." I also put "Please try not to talk to me when I am experiencing a contraction"! They were pretty good at respecting those.

I have found that staying calm and showing respect for the way they do things (even if you disagree with them) is the best way to approach issues of disagreement. I also got my husband to do almost all the talking with staff, while I had headphones playing relaxing music - helps to avoid stress which is the enemy of a smooth labour.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12