Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

epi-no plus

alibali is offline Registered User

epi-no plus

Has anyone used this product before?

http://www.epino.de/birth.htm

If so, do you think it was effective in easing labour and preventing an episiotomy? Thanks!

JennyB is offline Registered User

I used it with the birth of my second baby and it was brilliant. Had episiotomy with first baby so was determined to avoid one second time. It gently and gradually stretches your perineum in advance of the birth so that the baby can gently ease out. It gave me a lot of confidence before the birth to know that I had already "given birth" to a 10cm diameter object at home with ease! The hospital staff were so surprised I had no tear even with previous epi scar which is supposed to be less stretchy. My baby slipped out within one contraction, and with no more discomfort than if you try to open your mouth really wide.

Potential drawbacks:
    1. Cost - I paid $1200, so you need a strong incentive to get your money's worth, such as the fact I had discomfort walking for 6wks after the birth of my first baby.
    2. It's not recommended for use before 37wks (I guess they don't want somebody suing if their waters break while using it or something), so it's hard to get full value unless you go to 40wks like I did.
    3. I also had some minor spotting the day after I first used it, which I have heard of happening to other women who then were afraid of using it again.

To minimise these problems I would recommend (for 2) use it twice a day from 37wks and (for 3) make sure you follow the instructions: don't insert it too far and work gradually. It might also be possible to replicate the benefits for free, through manual stretching, but I think that would need to be very rigorous to be effective.

Last edited by JennyB; 09-18-2006 at 11:29 PM.

pinemarten is offline Registered User

Wow, very interesting! I just read through the Australian study done on the Epi-No, here's the link if anyone else would like to see it:
    http://www.epino.de/pdfs/australian_...000%20epino%22

It's a small study, but the results were pretty impressive!

pinemarten is offline Registered User

Sorry to post again, but just saw this:
    "Clinical Trial News
    Another EPI-NO Clinical Trial is underway. The new trial at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, will study 200 women expecting their first baby, and the potential protective effect of EPI-NO on the pelvic floor. Are you interested in participating?
    Contact Dr Rebecca Deans on [email protected]. "
    http://epi-no.com.au/content.cfm

I know of at least one mum on this forum who's planning to give birth in Sydney.

Thanks for your responses ladies,
    This is my first baby and, like anyone else, I want to have a quick labour and minimize any discomfort afterwards, especially with a new baby to take care of. Your feedback sounds v. positive!

JennyB is offline Registered User

Another thing I have just thought of is that, given the expense and time you put in to use the epi-no, you ought to do everything you can to minimise the chance of having a c-section. Epi-no only helps with the final stage but there are lots of pitfalls before you get there!

Before you buy the epi-no, I would check with your doctor about any risk factors you might have that would make a c-section more likely than the average person. Also if you are going to a private hospital, choose an obstetrician who has a low c-section rate!

Things you can do to promote a natural birth:
    * Positive thinking and relaxation/breathing techniques. I used Hypnobirthing (see www.hypnobirthing.com) - Annerley Midwives run a course and the results for me were amazing. Hypnobirthing practioners in the US claim to have very low c-section rates.
    * Try to avoid ANY medical intervention unless essential, because many of them have a chain reaction that can make a c-section more likely.
    *Don't rush to hospital at the first sign of labour, because they are prone to suggesting unnecessary medical interventions.
    * If you need pain relief, don't have an epidural, which hugely increases the likelihood of forceps or c-section being needed.

Last edited by JennyB; 09-21-2006 at 12:12 AM.

elaine is offline Registered User

where can i buy this in HK? Or do I have to buy it online?

You can buy it here in HK at:
    Suite 701
    6-8 pottinger street, central
    2526-3853

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Scroll to top