Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Moving to Hong Kong with two active boys

fore51 is offline Registered User

Moving to Hong Kong with two active boys

Hi,

We are currently finalising our decision to move to Hong Kong. WE have two little boys (2 & 4), who are extremely active and love to run around. My concern is that Hong Kong apartments will not be big enough to contain the energy of two boys. I would love to hear experiences from other people who have active young kids and who live in apartments.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards

Karen

hkaussie is offline Registered User
    Hi Karen,
    Sorry my baby's only 12 months but just wanted to say that yes, the apartments are like shoeboxes, but there are places to live where you can get around that problem.

It depends on what your budget is as to where you can live. A few options:

* If you live in Discovery Bay or similar, there are many activities for kids and lovely open spaces for them to run around, even if your apartment is small.

* If you live in a village such as Mui Wo or any of the other many villages around, you can pay less for more space, so you may even be able to afford an entire 3-storey village house, which gives the boys more room to have a play area etc. Also these villages are a great place for the boys to ride their bikes.

* If you can afford an apartment in a nice complex with good facilities, there is lots for kids to do within the complex, such as swimming pool (some even have indoor and outdoor), lovely play rooms with equipment, outdoor play parks, etc etc.

So if you must live in a small apartment (as most of us do), you can get around it by living in an area that allows you to do a lot out of the house.

I'd say that living in a small apartment in somewhere like Causeway Bay would drive you all mental for example, as it's right in the middle of cramped city life.

Hope that helps!

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    I would agree with hkaussie and suggest you look to live in areas with more open space and opportunities for outdoor activities, than you would get living in the centre.

It all depends on your budget-

High end would include: Stanley, Repulse Bay, Tai Tam, The Peak
    More reasonable would include: Discovery Bay, Pokfulam, Sai Kung, Clearwater
    Very reasonable would include: Lantau (Mui Wo, Pui O, Cheung Sha Wan), New Territories (Tai Po, Fanling, Sheung Shui), Lamma Island

msmslau is offline Registered User
    also try Park Island in Ma Wan...it's a new baby and eco friendly apt complex. http://www.parkisland.com.hk/

the only drawback for some folks is they don't allow cars. so u have to rely on their shuttle bus and ferry.

mander is offline Registered User

Bel Air/Pokfulam

We live in Bel Air in Pokfulam and have a VERY ENERGETIC 2 3/4 year old boy. He goes to preschool for 3 hours each morning and we head to the playgrounds (2 indoor and 2 outdoor) every day. In the afternoons, there are usually many children playing outside on the grassy area playing soccer, etc. There is also a large concrete area to ride bikes, play with remote control cars, etc.

I was worried about living in an apartment with my son after living in a house with a big yard, but we are really enjoying it. We usually head to a public park with a large playground at least once a week too.

KatBoo is offline Registered User
    Hi Mander.

We live in Bel Air too. wee man is 14 months old, but am beginning to think about pre-schools and playgroups. Any recommendations for our area?

Kat

mander is offline Registered User

Sunshine

My son goes to Sunshine House in Pokfulam (he will be switching to their new facility in Chiu Fu when it opens, which should be this month). He is in the 2-3 year old class. They have an accompanied class for younger children that you should check out. I am really happy with the school so far. He asks to go every day, even on the weekends. He went to daycare in the US and NEVER asked to go and cried every day when I dropped him off (I worked part-time). I don't know if it's an age thing or the school, but he loves it at Sunshine. I also looked at Panda Woodland and it seemed nice, but they only had afternoons available. I want a morning class.

KatBoo is offline Registered User
    Thanks Sunshine, will do look into it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast