Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Porridge & Weight

Geo
    Geo is offline Registered User

Porridge & Weight

Hi there,

1) Any mum of 14-16 month old baby boy out there? Need to have a gauge of the weight of babies around this age. Mine is 11 kg at 14 mth. Was 10 kg at 10 mth. Weight has not gone up by a lot and is abit worried.

2) Porridge: how much does your baby take now? I normally cooked 1 cup rice + lots of vegi + $10 mince meat. Then blend it up and let him eat as much as he can. But he can only take 1 medium size bowl each meal and remainder is stored for next day. Normally it can take him 6 meals to finish it. Any sharing of the porridge portion out there: a) cooking proportion and b) eating proportion. I tried not blending it and feeding him. It took 1 hr to finish it and sometimes he throw up cos he is still not used to swallowing. For blended food, it is about 30 mins.

Thanks.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Dear Geo,

I have just looked up the latest WHO growth curves for boys (follow the links on http://www.who.int/childgrowth/stand.../en/index.html)

The 75 percentile for a boy of 10 months is 9.9 kg and the 75 percentile for a boy of 15 months is 11.1 kg. I would say your son is growing beautifully from the figures you gave.

It is normal for baby’s growth to slow down as they get older. Usually we are looking for a doubling of birth weight about 4 months, a tripling by 12 months and a quadrupling around about 2 years.

A good estimate of the amount of solids a baby eats at each meal is one tablespoon for each year of life. So a one year old will eat one tablespoon per meal, a two year old two tablespoons, etc. Of course, some babies like solids and eat more. But don’t worry if this is all your baby eats.

Also babies are not regular – some days they eat more and others less. At 15 months my children would sometimes not want any solids but make up for it later in the week.

Have you tried giving finger that he can hold in his own hands? My children liked to feed themselves and finger foods are less messy than blended foods for this.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

joannek is offline Registered User
    Sarah, I know that babies are supposed to triple there birth weight by 1 yr. That's exactly what my baby girl did (birth weight 3.3 kg, 1yr check up at 10kg), but according to the new WHO charts, 3.3kg at birth is 50%tile, 10kg is 75%tile already. So does it mean that 25% of the babies don't triple there birth weight by 1yr old?

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    How much a tripling of the birth weight is depends a lot on what the actual birth weight was. For example my first child was only 2.450 kg at birth and she had more than tripled her weight at 12 months but my heaviest was 3.620 kg at birth and he didn’t triple his birth weight until he was about 16 months. It is much more important to look at the health of the child than the weight.

The new curves show that girls tend to triple their birth weight between 14 and 16 months – with the heavier birth weight babies doing it later. And the boys between 12 and 15 months. One of the biggest findings of the new research behind the curves is that a huge number of our babies are actually obese, especially the bottle feed ones. And with so much adult obesity and the related health problems they are trying to stop the problem starting too young.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

msmslau is offline Registered User
    Hi Geo - as Sarah said, your baby boy's weight is quite normal. as for feeding porridge, my 14 mth old daughter (who weights about ~ 21 lbs) can take the 1 cup of rice worth of porridge in about 3 feedings. i added vege and meat/fish and cheese in it too.

i usually blend the food for easy feeding, but at the same time, i give her finger food( steam broccoli, pasta , table food etc) for her to feed herself otherwises i am afraid she won't want to chew later.

kara23 is offline Registered User
    Hi!
    Just need a little advice on what to feed my 15 mth old! He used to take porridge everyday and also lots of baby jar food. These 2 weeks suddenly he refuses to take any porridge, oatmeal or baby cereal. He only wants bread and biscuits. It is such a headache as we make so much effort coming up with different menus for him. Our pediatrician said it is ok since he is at a healthy weight (11kg). I have also tried pasta, mash potato... Need help!!
    Kara23

msmslau is offline Registered User
    have you tried just regular rice? (of course a little softer, the better). my 14 mth old daughter loves rice since it takes a bit sweet. maybe avocado too? it has great fat and is very filling.

i think he might just be going through a phase. on days when my daughter does not eat well during regular meal, i usually make it up by giving her more yogurt/milk /banana during snack time. then a few days later, she is back to normal.

kara23 is offline Registered User
    Yes, I tried rice, he spat it out. :-( Made some homemade french fries for him (baked of course), he spat it out. so now i am just giving him banana. and the baby pudding in a jar. Do you have any recipes you can share, msmslau?

kara23

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast