Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Baby 3 months old not drinking water

henry21 is offline Registered User

Baby 3 months old not drinking water

My baby is three months old. My wife breast feeds her and we also feed with bottles expressed milk and formula (Meiji). Doctor advises us to give her some water to help her poo poo. Starting from a week ago, she cries a lot whenever we feed her water although she is okay with expressed milk. She normally poo poo every 2-3 days but probably she has not been drinking water, she has not poo poo for three days now. Worrying a bit of her constipation problem although poo poo was never very hard before . We are a bit reluctant to add juice, honey or glucose given she is only three months old. Hope someone will share with me some experiences and advice. Many thanks!

Hagrid is offline Registered User

I exclusively breastfed my son when he was 3 months old but he had poo poo few times a day. Even if I give him water, he would refuse it. He only picked up the habit of drinking water after I stopped bf when he was 10 months old.

From what I've read, breast milk contains enough water that there is no need for additional water, unless it's in hot weather. 3 days without a poo is still considered normal and I don't think it's a good idea to give him juice, honey (honey is a no no before a baby turns 1!) or glucose. Just relax, it will come :)

Sleuth is offline Registered User

Sometimes, when it is really hot (like HK in August) and we are stuck outside and have no breast milk, we force some water, but our son doesn't really like it. We have maybe done this 3 times. We were more concerned about dehydration than poo, though.
    Breast milk should have plenty of water. If you look at the first of the expressed milk, it is really thin and watery.
    Wouldn't use any of those other liquids without consulting a doctor and 3 days without poo could be normal.

nursie is offline Registered User

Henry21, Babies are not allowed to have honey at that age (from one year on). As for glucose (sugar) doesn't come recommended either. If your baby keeps refusing the water, I'd personally give him/her just a little bit of pear juice mixed with plenty of water. Could be an alternative.

cha-cha is offline Registered User

my daughter used to poo anything from twice a day to once every 5 days, so don't worry too much. we used to also exercise her legs to get her bowels moving (like a bicycle riding motion) or sometimes very very gently rubbing her large intestine area.

my daugther would never ever drink cold/ room temperature water, but she will drink warm (~40c) water happily.

sometimes the type of formula may cause constipation aswell. check with your paed. hope that helps

Shirley is offline Registered User

Why don't you try feeding the water with a spoon. We do this with our 3.5 month old son and he is quite good a drinking it. A few spoonfuls a day would be ok just to get her use to the taste.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

water is not normally recommended until babies are at least 4 months old since their appetite is small (water replaces milk which is not good) and even at this time, only a little water is recommended.

as for the amount of poo...fewer bowel movements means more is being absorbed by the body. my 3mth old only has 1 bowel movement a day (sometimes 2 when she has more milk), this reduced from 4 a day at 2mth old. should be no problem your baby has no bowel movement for a few days.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User

Never give an infant honey, first of all.

Second, some children poop every day, some several times a day, others every few days. If your child doesn't appear to be in pain, or has very firm poop, I wouldn't worry and wouldn't change a thing. I don't know a lot of 3 mo who like water, most don't. Sometimes diluted pear juice is beter, but then I wouldn't give a 3 mo juice unless everything else fails, the child is in pain, and the child likes it and actually benefits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast