Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I think my helper needs glasses.....

somebodyfamous is offline Registered User

I think my helper needs glasses.....

OK she doesn't notice that she's not cleaning the dishes properly, despite me pointing it out all the time. She overwatered a plant and didn't see the water overflowing, then she missed a big handprint on the window.

Am I being fussy? My babies will be born in about 6 weeks time and I'm a bit worried about it....

I'd like her to get an eye test done but get the feeling she wouldn't be able to afford glasses etc.

Any advice?

Are eyes covered with medical insurance? We're thinking of getting her helpers insurance so that she has a medical before the babies arrive..

I feel bad posting this cause she's excellent in many other areas and yes she does have experience with babies and young children...

carang is offline Registered User
    it is illegan NOT to have insurance for the helper...

i wouldn't "think" about it anymore. YOU are responsible for ALL medical costs!

really? First time I heard of this! Any useful Government links? Sh'es been with us 6 years....

And does it cover her eyes?

noella is offline Registered User
    Does that include dental??? My helpers false teeth are broken.

Found this on the HK Government website:

Insurance policies for the Helper

50. Clause 9:

Part IV of the Employees' Compensation Ordinance provides that all employers are required, by law, to take out insurance policies to cover their full liabilities.

The liability of the employer to provide free medical treatment for the Helper who is ill or suffering from personal injury not attributable to his/her employment is normally not covered by insurance policy for the purpose of Part IV of the Employees' Compensation Ordinance. Employers are advised to take out comprehensive insurance policy to cover their liability and potential medical and other expenses under the Employee's Compensation Ordinance, the Employment Ordinance, the common law and this clause.

Talk about vagueness - first paragraph says take out a policy, 2nd paragragh says 1st paragraph policy isn't enough - LOL! Surprisingly the HK Government have never asked us about this.... Our helper has never asked us either, she seems happy - we pay for her to go on holiday every year.....

SO are there any reasonable priced eye doctors out there? I'm pretty sure she can get a free check up in any Optical Shop....

carang is offline Registered User
    the insurane policy you need to buy will cover all things that are NOT covered by the employment compensation.

it is MANDATORY! every agency should be offereing you insurance when you sign the contract. i know that we had to pay fo reverything up front. it isn't expensive. we went for the insurance with dental cover(costs a little more). i think we paid $700 for 1 year.

the insurance also covers your costs if your helper dies while in your employment. if this happens, YOU are responsible for the costs of transporting the body back to the home country. the insurance will pay for this. (i know it doesn't happen often, but i did hear of a friend's friend who's helper had a massive heartattack in her sleep)

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyfamous
    I'd like her to get an eye test done but get the feeling she wouldn't be able to afford glasses etc.
    All optical stores will do the exam for free. There's a store on Queen's Rd Central, across from The Center. It's called Optical Outlet 100. They have different packages. Prescription glasses are around $3xx. Best to get it sorted before the twins arrive.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Thanks so much for the informative replies. We didn't go through an agency, we adopted our maid when our friends left Hong Kong. We've known her for over 10 years.
    Thanks Rani for that advice, we'll send her there ths week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast