Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

allergic to eggplants?

msmslau is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

allergic to eggplants?

my 14 mth daughter seems to be allergic to eggplants. Red patches around her mouth will appear after she eats eggplants. the reaction will disappear in about 1/2 hr.

any mom experienced that with their baby and should i stop feeding eggplant until she is older?

mammalicious is offline Registered User
    hong kong
    hi msmslau

i fed my baby eggplant when she was younger and the same thing happened. a hivelike rash appeared around her mouth so i stopped feeding her immediately eggplant. this was probably about 4 months ago. i still havn't yet tried it again, but will try it in a few more months. i'm told babies will have some reactions to some things but most outgrow the allergies as they get older.

i suggest you stop feeding anything with eggplant in it for a few months and then perhaps re introduce it again later on.

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    New Territories
    Yes, wait until she is older. Eggplants have some chemicals in them that can cause different reactions:
    Eggplants have high levels of histamine:

It can also contain solanine:

I myself LOVE eggplants, but must be careful about eating them. If I eat too much I get an upset stomach and diarrhea, perhaps I am a bit sensitive to solanine.

joannek is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    i have never given eggplant to my 19mth.after i eat eggplant, my tongue gets tingly. plus, chinese doctor tend to think eggplant has more bad than good. there are so many other legumes to eat. i suggest you put off eggplant until your baby is a lot older.