Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cheap Car Seat for Plane

mrs momo is offline Registered User

Cheap Car Seat for Plane

My baby's car seat is one inch too big for Cathay's airbus econ seats. Can anyone recommend a good cheap car seat that is also quite comfortable for a 10mth old. I have checked with Cathay and the seat's width is 17.5 inches so I guess something about that size or just a bit smaller will be great.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Can you just use any car seat? In the US we were led to belive you needed an FAA-approved model which rather limits your choices.
    We use a FAA approved sit-n-stroll, but, at US$200 (if I remember correctly) I would not call it "cheap". Depends on your perspective, I guess.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Does anyone know if the Maxi Cosi is FAA approved? Will it fit into an economy class seat?

Is it even safe to use car seats on a plane? I've never seen anyone using one, but my husband says he has.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    The sit-n-stroll is a car seat and it is safe on a plane.
    I doubt all car seats are safe for planes because a car and a plane are just too different. Different accelerations and movements. Plus some car seats appear to be too big to fit in a plane seat.
    With the sit-n-stroll on some flights we have to use a seat belt extender and on some we don't.

odm_post is offline Registered User
    I've seen some passengers use their own car seat on the plane.

I have a carseat from FOPPAPEDRETTI (an Italian brand) that I don't use anymore and would like to sell if you don't mind a second-hand. It's 15-inch wide. Good from newborn until about 2 yo, if I'm not wrong. You can use it front-facing (10-20 kg) or rear-facing (0-10 kg). Original price is about HK$800. Will let it go for HK$200

odm post. can u pvt mssg me your contact details. i am very interested. thx!

jubee is offline Registered User
    mrs momo - which car seat do you currently have? I have travelled to 3 times back and forth to the US on Cathay econ with our giant Britax Marathon with no problems. (it's FAA approved as well) I think the Marathon was a bit larger than the seat specs, but it still fit. It was definitely snug and we did have a time unbuckling the plane's seatbelt.

Best to talk to Cathay as well to let them know you have baby car seat so they can book a window seat for the car seat.

The only problem we had was that our little one's legs can touch the seat in front and was kicking it. We fortunately had very understanding people sitting in front of us. (Can't imagine if they weren't and had to endure 14 hours of kicking...) If you get the bulkhead seats, you won't have problems, but you'll get a lot of bathroom or galley traffic.

jubee, i have a combi car seat. it is very wide. i rang up cathay and they said the flight i am taking is an airbus and the econ seats are 17.5 inches wide. i also rang up combi and they told me my car seat is 18.5 inches wide. cathay said i cannot lift up the arm rest for the seat to fit. therefore i must buy a new one.

i even rang up sit n stroll in canada as my father in law is over there now but they have no stock so i will probably buy a britax. i guess i will just leave it in the house and also use it when my baby has a cold or stuff nose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast