Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

How old was your baby when he/she first flown on a plane?

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

Thanks for all the help- feeling a little more relaxed now about flying with tiny baby! I plan to get the go ahead from pedietrician first. We are flying to my husbands home country for circumcision ceremony and can't leave it too late because it becomes more painful the older the baby is! So trying to weigh that up against a good time to fly.

My husband works for the airline, so flying standby which is never much fun at the best of times- but hopefully the baby will give us some priority!

Friends who revently flew with a three week old baby said it was relatively fine- and that breastfeeding helped soothe and quiet the baby tremendously so that's good!

usfret is offline Registered User

Can you buy the nursing canopy in Hong Kong? I have tried bf in public but I find it really difficult to keep the baby latched on also my baby is easily distracted.

Sleuth is offline Registered User

We flew at 3 months without any problem. Our doctor said the only drawback is if the baby becomes ill, then you have to deal with a sick baby away from home.
    Used the Maya wrap to BF without a problem, but if it is a long flight you might want an extra seat and the bulkhead-bassinet combo. The sit-n-stroll worked great for us. It's a stroller that converts to both a car seat as well as an FAA approved airplane seat. And (so far) it has been skinny enough to fit down aisles.
    Just spent the last week looking at airfares to/from HK and the baby discount is all over the place. Sometimes I think the airlines just invent the fare. Also depends on whether you want a seat for the baby or not.

odm_post is offline Registered User

All my children took their first flight (back to europe) when they're about 4-6 weeks old. Before the trip, just to be sure, I got a 'green' signal from the paedi :) From what I understand, the babies can fly as early as 2 weeks old, provided that they're healthy.
    And from my personal point of view, having flown with all them when they're really small, it's so much easier at this age, i.e. when you're still breadtfeeding or even if the baby is on formula because at this age, they just eat and sleep, don't they? :Fsleepy:

Agree with capital. Get a bulkhead seat where you can put the baby bassinet. You don't want to be holding your baby the whole 12 hrs of flight, believe me! Although I do find that all my babies slept better when I held them, but I'd put them back in the bassinet once they're sound asleep. That'll give you some time to strecth yourself.
    But since your husband works for the airline, I don't know if you can request for such seat. But I believe you'll get a staff fares right? Best is buy another empty seat when you can put the baby down. You'll only pay the fare of a child seat. I always did this when I used to work for the airline.

As for breastfeeding in the public, I always brought a baby blanket or small towel with me. This is good enought to cover your shoulder and part of your baby while you breastfeed.

Hope this helps

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

Thanks! Not dreading the flight quite so much now- although my husbands colleague just tried to fly back to HK (on the same flight we will be taking) with his wife, toddler and three month old baby. His wife got on the flight with the children (and no bassinet seat because they were all taken by fee paying passengers, so she had to hold the baby the whole 12 hrs back) and the only way her husband could get back was via Bangkok!
    It might be worth buying a child's ticket so at least have somewhere to put the baby!

Millerwhisk is offline Registered User

I have a friend who just came to HK with twins. Virgin apparently have bassinet seats that the babies are seatbelted into so you now do not need to hold them during turbulence, take off and landing. Not sure who your husband works for but it may be worth looking at.

shahirakk is offline Registered User

Cool flying with baby and bassinets

Just in response to virgin flights having bassinets. They are pretty rubbish if you have a large baby as they are very,very small. Probably great with a tiny one.

We flew durign the week and there were loads of spaces on the plane - Weekends are really busy. It isnt good if you need to get back to work but every time I have flown in the week on Virgin, I have had a spare seat next to me.

Next time, I am going to fly in a normal seat rather than bulkhead so that I can push the arm rest up to allow the baby to lie down - the bassinets stop becoming useful at 9 months i would say - depending on the size of your child.

Also breastfeeding / bottlefeeding during take off and landing are the best things to do for sure.

I dont know how you contain toddlers / crawlers on flights - that was our main problem

Good luck!

Sleuth is offline Registered User

There's a good book on travelling with babies called "On the Go With Babies" and it addresses a lot of issues. Author is Erika Lutz.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast