Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How old was your baby when he/she first flown on a plane?

BBTang is offline Registered User

How old was your baby when he/she first flown on a plane?

Hi

I was wondering what is the youngest/acceptable age for a baby to fly. What did you do to ease the changing pressures on the plane, or how do they cope with the pressure on the planes?

I've heard that Babies fly for free under 2yrs old, but some airlines/destinations charges a fee. In your experience, which is true?

Thanks for your help / info.
    :groupwave:
    The TANG Clan

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    I had my third child in England and flew back to Hong Kong with him when he was 18 days old. The woman sitting next to me, also on her third child, was flying when he baby was 12 days old.

My understanding is that the mother is actually at more risk than the baby for early flying. They are always concerned about new mothers hemorrhaging.

It was getting a passport which delayed my return to Hong Kong. I had to go to Liverpool (over 100 miles from where my parents live) to get the passport and so had to wait until my father could drive me there.

I had to pay 10% of the adult fare for the baby – this is standard for international flights – and all flights into Hong Kong are international. I believe it is only for internal USA flight that babies are free.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

carang is offline Registered User
    only on some domestic carriers do babies fly free...

all international flights are charged at 10% of the PUBLISHED rate... NOT the discount rate that you pay through an agent.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    So it would be ok to fly with our baby when he is three weeks old? Or would it be better to wait until he is a month old? I know it's just a weeks difference, but am very nervous about flying with such a young baby. We had friends who flew with their baby at three weeks old, and no problems.

JennyB is offline Registered User
    Bekyboo, maybe ask your doctor's opinion as well, but I don't think a week will make much difference to the baby. It might make a difference as to how you are feeling. I would try and keep your options open to see how you feel closer to the time, and how easily your baby is settling in. I would have found a longhaul trip quite tiring, and the logistics of planning and packing stressful, when my first baby was that age, but the baby would probably have been fine!

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    If you are flying back to Hong Kong I would suggest before three weeks. This is because the BCG injection will be given to newborns who are under three weeks but the baby will need a test to see if they have the antibodies already if older than three weeks. Other than that I really can’t see that it will make any difference whether the baby is three weeks or four weeks.

One thing you might like to consider is how comfortable you will feel breastfeeding in the aeroplane. An extra week’s practice might make the difference between you feeling very self conscious and being at ease. It is recommended that you breastfeed while taking off and landing.

Good luck with the flight,
    SARAH

Isaac Mom is offline Registered User
    Hi

I am not sure how old the baby can take plane, but under my impression my US doctor advised to more than a month.

My son took a long flight from Seattle to HK when he was 1.5 months. Thanks god he was quite ok on plane. He did sleep and eat well. We gave him pacifier when taking off. I was told to do this to reduce the pressure. He slept through when landing. He only cried for hungry on plant and other than that he was quite cooperative.

Carang was right. His ticket fee was 10% of the normal rate.

Cheers
    Isaac Mom

capital is offline Banned
    I don't think there is any minimum age. We first went at 3 months. Honestly the younger your baby is the better. It is toddlers that are a problem on the plane. Just BF/FF during take off. Request the bulk head seat so you can get the bassinette that snaps on, then you have a place to set the baby. During takeoff/landing and tubulance, you have to take the baby out of the bassinette. I like the Aisle seat as more room for my arms to BF. Get a nursing canopy if you are worried about BF in public. I don't have one of these but they look a lot better than the one I have, because you can still see the baby to latch him

http://www.bebeaulait.com/

Don't worry about the baby crying. They alll will at some point, and you will feel like everyone is staring at you , but so what. Babies cry, especailly young babies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast